Find the answer to your Linux question:
New problem with compaq 610 160GB 2GB intel duo core 2.0. This machine will simply not run sound apps on any distro I've tried with. Any ideas?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Compaq 610 sound problem

New problem with compaq 610 160GB 2GB intel duo core 2.0.
    This machine will simply not run sound apps on any distro I've tried with.

Any ideas?

Linlap.com says that pretty much everything works with that notebook in Opensuse 11.1, and that absolutely everything does in Fedora 11 (so presumably 12 and 13 should be OK). They note that Ubuntu and other Debians are not so good on it, specifically mentioning sound issues.

They do say that a modprobe line helps:
    Fix the no sound problem with adding the line"options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1” to file /etc/modprobe.d/sound (/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf on Ubuntu)

Just Joined!

Smile Fix sound problem

Quote Originally Posted by njuguna View Post
    New problem with compaq 610 160GB 2GB intel duo core 2.0.
    This machine will simply not run sound apps on any distro I've tried with.

Any ideas?
    Had a sound problem on a little Sony Vaio with linux (Puppy) and fixed it with a USB sound card; I paid $15 locally but have seen them for $10 or less online, for example: if you search for "usb sound card" you'll find the one I bought at buyextrasdotcom --the BXT USB Stereo Audio/MIC Sound Card. This one is 7.95 + 2.95 shipping.

I paid more locally...just to get it fast. And it works fine...in case the other suggestions don't work for you.

Sr. Dorothy
    Last edited by drobinson; 06-23-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Info left out

Just Joined!
    Let me try this.

Just Joined!
    Some technician said that this powerstation is a 64-bit machine, weakdos says that too!
    However, how comes it runs 32-bit apps? I thought they dont speak same language...
    Still, mandriva 2009 live cd when booting produces a annoying sound like that of a spoilt woofer gone wild, and does not finish booting. Knoppix is quiet; not even a message.
    Solaris 2009.06 says gstreamer is not working???

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by njuguna View Post
    Some technician said that this powerstation is a 64-bit machine, weakdos says that too!
    However, how comes it runs 32-bit apps? I thought they dont speak same language...
    Still, mandriva 2009 live cd when booting produces a annoying sound like that of a spoilt woofer gone wild, and does not finish booting. Knoppix is quiet; not even a message.
    Solaris 2009.06 says gstreamer is not working???
    Here's some info about processors... processorfinder.intel dot com

Sr. Dorothy