(not posting whole URLs since I'm a new member)

I'm putting the finishing touches on a trial Reddit install on a Debian Etch webserver, and I'm getting tripped up at one of the last steps:

code.reddit.com/wiki/RedditStartToFinish

Code:
If you've got daemontools up and running (may require a reboot -- make sure svscan is running), you can now install the services:

me$ sudo ln -s ~/reddit/srv/* /service/

[NOTE: depending on your architecture, /service/ may be in /etc/service/].

If all is working, the app should be running on both ports 8001 and 8002.

It should also be safe to install the cron jobs. here's what we recommend for a crontab:

# m h  dom mon dow   command
*/5   *   *   *   *    ~/reddit/scripts/rising.sh
*/4   *   *   *   *    ~/reddit/scripts/send_mail.sh

*/3   *   *   *   *    ~/reddit/scripts/broken_things.sh
1     *   *   *   *    ~/reddit/scripts/update_promos.sh
*/2   *   *   *   *    ~/reddit/scripts/look_for_verdicts.sh
0    */6  *   *   *    ~/reddit/scripts/catchup_batch_queries.sh
Explain this to me like I'm a 6-year-old. I see the file /etc/services which lists what services can run on which ports, but I don't see a directory /service/ or /etc/service/. Do I just need to create the directory? Should I just create /service according to this page cr.yp.to/daemontools/faq/create.html ? (I don't see where I can tell daemontools that it should look within that directory for services). Do I just create /service/run with:

Code:
     #!/bin/sh
     echo starting
     exec clockspeed
I believe I have daemontools installed:

Code:
dpkg-query -W | grep -i daemont

daemontools     1:0.76-2~bpo40+1
daemontools-run 1:0.76-2~bpo40+1
ndn-daemontools 0.76-11
If I try to run /usr/local/bin/svscan, I get continuous errors such as: "supervise: fatal: unable to start proftpd/run: file does not exist"

What am I doing wrong? Can you help me get daemontools properly installed and properly symlink the services that should be run (sudo ln -s ~/reddit/srv/* /service/)?

I'm currently trying to edit /etc/rc.local according to these instructions: cr.yp.to/daemontools/start.html . Would the entry go before or after "exit 0?"

Code:
csh -cf '/command/svscanboot &'
exit 0
-------------------------------------------------
Secondly, I'm trying to get some cron jobs running. This is what I see for my current cron tab:

Code:
sudo crontab -l
MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * cd /usr/local/reddit/r2; paster run example.ini r2/lib/user_stats.py -c "set_stats()"
0 */1 * * * cd /usr/local/reddit/r2; paster run example.ini r2/lib/count.py -c "update_link_counts('12 hours')"
*/3 * * * * cd /usr/local/reddit/r2; paster run example.ini r2/lib/emailer.py -c "send_queued_mail()"
My path for reddit is: /usr/local/reddit/. The paths are correct, but the jobs don't seem to be running.
Code:
root      2295  0.0  0.2  11500   852 ?        Ss   Jun17   0:03 /usr/sbin/cron
What can I do to get these running correctly?

Thanks.