Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to get Firefox on Debian. Bottom line: Iceweasle looks creepy. I thought Icerabbit was clever and had merit as a parody of Firefox but "Iceweasle" is just outright ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Iceweasle is creepy

I want to get Firefox on Debian.

Bottom line: Iceweasle looks creepy. I thought Icerabbit was clever and had merit as a parody of Firefox but "Iceweasle" is just outright stupid.

For all that commentators in that debate say about Iceweasle being identical to Firefox minux the logo, I still want Firefox. How can I get it on Debian, especially without it conflicting with Iceweasle?

What do you mean by "Iceweasle is creepy"? If you install Firefox, it will be as creepy as Iceweasle because as you already know, Iceweasle is clone of Firefox minus Firefox logo.

Anyways, download Firefox from here, extract it and double click on firefox script. Firefox will pop up.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    i remember doing that once but the iceweasel logo hijacks the firefox logo...

Just Joined!
    Search for: "Adding REAL Firefox to Debian Lenny" (sorry forum won't allow me to post URLs yet).
    Instructions for removal of iceweasel and installation of firefox worked fine for me.
    Happy browsing.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dominoeastmint View Post
    Search for: "Adding REAL Firefox to Debian Lenny" (sorry forum won't allow me to post URLs yet).
    Instructions for removal of iceweasel and installation of firefox worked fine for me.
    Happy browsing.
    TY, I will try it and see!

BTW Casper I meant the logo looks creepy. They really should've stuck with the original idea, the direct parody IceRabbit, or actually it should've been WaterRabbit cause that would've been funny, it would've been funny to get the Firefox people's reactions.

This is all I do to use Firefox.
    download Firefox
    extract to my /home
    ln -s /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins /home/craig/Downloads/firefox/plugins
    open iceweasel with iceweasel -profilemanager and create a profile for Firefox
    copy my iceweasel profile to the new firefox profile

create a text file called Firefox.desktop
    my Firefox.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Name[en_US]=Firefox
    Exec=/home/craig/Downloads/firefox/firefox %u
    Icon=/home/craig/Downloads/firefox/icons/mozicon128.png
    StartupNotify=true
    Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
    MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;

copied the Firefox.desktop to /usr/share/applications so it would appear in my LXDE menu and so I could put it on my lxde Applicatrions bar.

Or you can it this way:
    Directions for doing a permanent changeover:
    Tech Patterns :: Switching from Debian Iceweasel to Firefox, permanently

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6
    Debian Sid LXDE Kernel liquorix CPU Pentium IV 2.80GHz GeForce 9400 GT
    Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
    Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi