Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
From previews on Youtube Squeeze looks no different from Lenny! Given 3yr release cycle this is very disappointing, no? Why has Debian let us down on aesthetics factor? It also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Why does Debian Squeeze look exactly the same as Lenny?

From previews on Youtube Squeeze looks no different from Lenny! Given 3yr release cycle this is very disappointing, no? Why has Debian let us down on aesthetics factor?

It also has a very ugly boot screen, Lenny at least.

oz
    forum.guy
    It's been a few years since I last used Debian so I'm unable to speak on what it looks like now, but keep in mind that some distros provide a very generic vanilla interface with whatever desktop environment the end user chooses and then allows each user to enhance that with whatever eyecandy that they might want to add. If the desktop that you were viewing was running Gnome, it probably looked about the same as before because the Gnome desktop hasn't made any big changes in recent years. It's my understanding that it will get a facelift in version 3.0 whenever it's released. I currently run Arch and it also provides the vanilla look as described above.

If I've misunderstood your question, maybe someone currently running Debian will step in with the correct answers.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    It's been a few years since I last used Debian so I'm unable to speak on what it looks like now, but keep in mind that some distros provide a very generic vanilla interface with whatever desktop environment the end user chooses and then allows each user to enhance that with whatever eyecandy that they might want to add. If the desktop that you were viewing was running Gnome, it probably looked about the same as before because the Gnome desktop hasn't made any big changes in recent years. It's my understanding that it will get a facelift in version 3.0 whenever it's released. I currently run Arch and it also provides the vanilla look as described above.

If I've misunderstood your question, maybe someone currently running Debian will step in with the correct answers.
    Good answer. It's fair enough, the generic look, and it's not bad by any means. I just thought even some superficial cosmetic changes/enhancements would be used to give Squeeze some character is all, like how Suse and Ubuntu have character with every release. Disappointing if what I've observed is correct.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    From previews on Youtube Squeeze looks no different from Lenny! Given 3yr release cycle this is very disappointing, no? Why has Debian let us down on aesthetics factor?

With KDE they implemented KDE4 with Squeeze, whilst Lenny works still with KDE3.

---

BTW: For "Look" I would perhaps go to Ubuntu, Debian has other strengths like stability.

Just Joined!
    Obviously you don't like Debian-Gnu-Linux.
    Use another distribution, either Ubuntu or OpenSuse or whatever is out there.
    Problem solved.

So change the theme/icons/wallpaper.

Not like that is hard to do.

Who looks at the boot screen?

Why worry about the default looks?

Debian Sid LXDE Kernel liquorix CPU Pentium IV 2.80GHz GeForce 9400 GT
    Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
    Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi

oz
    forum.guy
    Call me old fashioned, but I actually prefer the vanilla look on the distros that I install, then after it's all configured and tweaked, I can change to whatever themes and backgrounds suit me rather than have someone else decide what eyecandy I might enjoy looking at. In my opinion, you can't determine the quality of a distribution by the decorations that come with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Boot screen? You mean how other distros boot up not showing any info on whats happening, just a progress bar. While Debian displays the verbose of everything thats happening? Sorry but IMO Debians philosophy there is much better.

Or do you mean how theres no splash screen for GRUB? Again, its for choosing what OS to boot, not to look pretty. You think I was happy when I installed OpenSuse next to Debian, and I had to look at a Suse splash screen? No.

I HOPE Debian never changes their GRUB screen or startup screen (actually if they had colored text on startup that might be nice). Their login screen is fine (its GDM I think same as any Gnome install), nothing to complain about there.

I guess what were all trying to say, is that from an aesthetics standpoint, no, we are not disappoointed. When I upgrade to Squeeze, it will be to have newer software available.

-Chris P

I don't think she was complaining, but simply curious about why Debian implements such a vanilla look.

I like Debian for its versatility. Not everything has been configured yet, leaving me to personalize my install. (I moved away from Ubuntu, much for that reason).

Indeed, if you want something already set up with eye candy you can just as well go for Linuxmint, Ubuntu or Open SUSE. On the other hand, if you want to decide your self, you could go for a Debian install.

Just do what suits you best.

Just Joined!
    Well, I can understand the desire for a pretty desktop. IE; Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSe, etc. After all it's the first thing that catches your eye. But I'm happy knowing that my baby - Debian - can be made to look anyway I want. And I have a top knotch rock steady distro to boot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast