Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi , Each time i'm doing apt-get dist-upgrade i'm getting an ext4 filesystem corruttion and i have to reboot on a live cd to correct the issue In dmesg the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

constant ext4 corruption with apt-get dist-upgrade

Hi ,

Each time i'm doing apt-get dist-upgrade i'm getting an ext4 filesystem corruttion and i have to reboot on a live cd to correct the issue

In dmesg the message are

Code:
    ext4-fs error (device sda2) make_indexed_dir: invalid rec_len for '..' in inode 6423097

aborting journal on device sda2-8

ext4-FS : remounting filesystem read-only

ext4-fs error (device sda2)  ext4_journal_start_sb detected aborted journal

ext4-FS : remounting filesystem read-only

ext4-fs error (device sda2) in ext4_link : io failure
    And on screen

Code:
    (Reading database ... 100%
    (Reading database ... 425729 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace ri1.8 1.8.7.249-3 (using .../ri1.8_1.8.7.299-1_all.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement ri1.8 ...

Blank screen

dpkg: error while cleaning up:
    unable to restore backup version of `/usr/share/doc/ri1.8/NEWS..gz': Read-only file system
    unable to restore backup version of `/usr/share/doc/ri1.8/copyright': Read-only file system
    unable to restore backup version of `/usr/share/doc/ri1.8/README': Read-only file system
    unable to restore backup version of `/usr/share/man/man1/ri1.8.1.gz': Read-only file system
    unable to restore backup version of `/usr/bin/ri1.8': Read-only file system
    unable to securely remove '/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci': Read-only file system
    unable to securely remove '/var/lib/dpkg/reassemble.deb': Read-only file system
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/utils_3.3_i386.deb (--unpack):
    error ensuring `/var/lib/dpkg/reassemble.deb' doesn't exist: Read-only file system
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    unable to flush updated status of `man-db': Read-only file system
    touch: cannot touch `/var/lib/update-notifier/dpkg-run-stamp': Read-only file system
    sh: cannot create /var/lib/update-notifier/updates-available: Read-only file system
    E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Post-Invoke 'if [ -d /var/lib/update-notifier ]; then touch /var/lib/update-notifier/dpkg-run-stamp; fi; if [ -e /var/lib/update-notifier/updates-available ]; then echo > /var/lib/update-notifier/updates-available; fi '
    E: Sub-process returned an error code
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    debian:/home/brian/Desktop# apt-get dist-upgrade
    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    debian:/home/brian/Desktop#

I ve migrated from ext3 to ext4 last week and i ve used e2fschk -D from a a gparted live cd.
    According to this bug report , e2fschk can lead to some corruption on older version
    hxxps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour... bug/525114
    hxxps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/527644

Can anybody help me to get my system back to normal without reinstalling , it is my every day used work laptop.

Rgards

Quote Originally Posted by ZashOne View Post
    I ve migrated from ext3 to ext4 last week and i ve used e2fschk -D from a a gparted live cd.
    Please note that the first link you've posted does not work.

This post https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...644/comments/7 says that directory indexing seems to be one of the possible reasons for such errors. Therefore, you may want to consider trying e2fsck without the -D switch.

This post https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...644/comments/8 says that this is a known bug of e2fsprogs version 1.41.11. I've just checked which version I have installed, and it is 1.42.12-1. Can you confirm that the gparted LiveCD you used contains the latest version of this package?

As a generic solution I would suggest booting from any LiveCD which provides a complete OS environment (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc.): specifically, a package manager. Then use the package manager to install the latest version of e2fsprogs and try to check the corrupted filesystem with e2fsk without the -D option first.

Just Joined!
    Hi ,

The problem was due to e2fsck.

-When migrating from ext3 to ext4 i used the stable version of gparted that contained the bug.
    -So on my partition , all the folder with a filename begining with a character ascii before dot where corrupted.
    -In fact corrupted is a big word, all the files where still there but it was impossible for a script to use .. or . . That lead directly to an unclean ext4 partiion.

Here is what i ve done :

-Searching all the folders with those filenames .
    -inteligently , removeing and reinstalling it through apt or local backup.

Everything looks fine now.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by ZashOne View Post
    -Searching all the folders with those filenames .
    -inteligently , removeing and reinstalling it through apt or local backup.

Everything looks fine now.
    Good to hear that you have managed to solve your problem!

Nevertheless, I strongly believe that fsck-ing your partition with a newer version of e2fsprogs would be a faster solution
    Last edited by unlimitedscolobb; 07-13-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Fix the bogus 'Hi,' in the quote.

Just Joined!
    Hi ,

I have done
    Code:
    fschk.ext4 -pfD
    on my partition with the latest testing gparted LiveCD
    and it did not detected any errors.
    Maybe just deleting/reinstalling resolves it perfectly

Thanks for your time