Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I just got myself a Dell Inspiron 1440. And decided to install my favorite distro Debian. I got the installation to go with no issue and all seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] BCMxx help

Hi all, I just got myself a Dell Inspiron 1440. And decided to install my favorite distro Debian. I got the installation to go with no issue and all seems to be working fine. However the wireless isn't working. NetworkManager doesnt even detect a wireless card. I followed the instructions here and installed the b43-fwcutter and then issued the modprobe b43 and modprobe b43legacy commands. Then I issued the iwconfig command and this was the output.

Code:
    debian:~# iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    It doesn't even list eth1. What have I done wrong? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Code:
    debian:~# lspci | grep BCM
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
    Just thought I'd add that before someone asked me to.

Also, I've been doing some research and found out about some file located /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. So I looked in mine and found out that only my eth0 is added.

Code:
    # PCI device 0x10ec:0x8136 (r8169)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="a4:ba:db:d7:d8:a7", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
    I'm going to safely assume that this is why my wireless card is only detected and not being used. Can someone offer some advice as to how I should go about adding it?

Just Joined!

Solved

I've resolved this issue by following the direction on this site.