Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok. I've got debian linux set up on two computers and W2k set up on two other computers. With either debian computer I can view and access the files on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Networking question deb box to deb box

Ok. I've got debian linux set up on two computers and W2k set up on two other computers.

With either debian computer I can view and access the files on the W2K computers with the "Places - Network" option of debian linux. (Amazing!).

Now I need to find out how to see one linux computer from the other.

Thanks

Ron

Linux Guru
    *Nix does not use (by default) the noisy "Windows file sharing" protocol (CIFS) that Windows machines use. The Debian boxes have the client-side part of the open-source version of Windows file sharing (Samba) installed, allowing them to communicate with "Windows shares."

You can choose to implement a Samba server on the Debian machines - allowing Win2K to access the data - or use the native *Nix "network file system" NFS. There are additional Windows packages (Unix Services for Windows) that allow Windows clients to access NFS shares. (I don't know about availability for Win2k tho.) There is plenty of reading available for the setup of both Samba and NFS servers.

Just Joined!
    Accessing the windows machines is working great. I can read files from any of my windows machines without problems.

What I havn't been able to get to do is to access debian machine #2 from debian machine #1.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Try this:
    Linux Mint Forums • View topic - How-to Guide Linux Networking with SSH
    You will be able to access the other Debian from nautilus.
    Or try sshfs (in case your file-manager doesn't support sftp)

I am not sure if thats what you are asking for. In general there is more than one way you can skin a cat...

Just Joined!
    Problem Solved - one word solution -

Samba