Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, If this has been covered before I couldn't find it. What I'm "Not" Asking... I'm not asking about installing the CD image to a USB hard drive to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Full install to a USB Hard Drive

Ok, If this has been covered before I couldn't find it.

What I'm "Not" Asking... I'm not asking about installing the CD image to a USB hard drive to boot a live install version. I've done that to see is my computer will boot from the USB and it does.

What I want to do is this:

An actual hard disk install of full featured Linux to a portable USB Hard Drive. I want to be able to plug in the USB HHD and go Linux. (Why you might ask? Fair enough. The laptop is my wife's computer and she says absolutely no to Linux.

Thanks

Ron

Um, my Wife is running Gentoo since 2004. I do update it over SSH so she even doesn't know what is the meaning of a rolling distro.
    I see her smiling when another friend has his/her computer going down because of I virus. Happens all the time. Yep, she has learned the benefits of a computer that always just works.

What you want to do is possible if BIOS supports booting from USB. What exactly is the problem?

How I did it below. You can sub Distro of your choice for AntiX 8.2

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Good read Rokytnji, I think that will work for me.

Segfault, You funny man! Nah my wife's way too computer literate for that to work.

Thanks

Ron