Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Debain installed on my IBM600 laptop. Is there a quick and easy - Down and dirty, Backup option where I can do a complete system backup on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backup and Restore ???

I have Debain installed on my IBM600 laptop. Is there a quick and easy - Down and dirty, Backup option where I can do a complete system backup on a USB hard drive?

Thanks

Ron

I think the application backintime would be what you are looking for, i can't remember if it is available in debian or not

if you are comfortable with the command line, you can always use rsync command

oz
    forum.guy
    If you want system images for backups, you can take a look at Clonezilla, FSArchiver, PartClone, or PartImage. I've used all of them and they work pretty well.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm looking at the SystemRecoveryCD which contains PartImage. I'll try it out later today and post the results.

Ron

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by photofinishron View Post
    I'm looking at the SystemRecoveryCD which contains PartImage. I'll try it out later today and post the results.
    Some people find the Parted Magic LiveCD easier to use (it also includes PartImage and others), but I've used both and they both work very well at what they do. In my opinion, SystemRescueCD probably is a little harder to use and understand for most users, but the advantage that it has over Parted Magic is that it includes 64-bit kernel options for those that need them.

Let us know how it all goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Some people find the Parted Magic LiveCD easier to use (it also includes PartImage and others), but I've used both and they both work very well at what they do. In my opinion, SystemRescueCD probably is a little harder to use and understand for most users, but the advantage that it has over Parted Magic is that it includes 64-bit kernel options for those that need them.

Let us know how it all goes.
    I'll look at the Parted Magic CD. The SystemRescueCD worked on My laptop which is a 399Mhz PII IBM600 w/192M of Ram. Real tiny little machine So finding even the systemRescueCD will work and seems to work fully is a plus.

Even still It's nice to be using the old IBM again and using it functionally. Even running W2K was making it a slug of sorts and the Mushysoft OS's beyond W2k are pointless to try on a machine so old.

Thanks

Ron

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by photofinishron View Post
    I'll look at the Parted Magic CD. The SystemRescueCD worked on My laptop which is a 399Mhz PII IBM600 w/192M of Ram. Real tiny little machine So finding even the systemRescueCD will work and seems to work fully is a plus.
    The advantage that some find with the Parted Magic LiveCD is that the ISO is smaller making it a quicker burn to disk, and it might feel more intuitive to some users. I personally keep both on hand and use them as needed depending on the particular occasion.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The advantage that some find with the Parted Magic LiveCD is that the ISO is smaller making it a quicker burn to disk, and it might feel more intuitive to some users. I personally keep both on hand and use them as needed depending on the particular occasion.
    Parted Magic: Smaller ISO and it was quicker to down load and burn but it would not boot in my IBM laptop.

SystemRescueCD did boot and run with no problems. PartImage ran and did the system backup with no problems.

Parted Magic did boot in any newer machine and looks like it might be a simpler user interface.

Recommend having both in your bag of tricks!

Thanks for the help to all!

Ron