Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I want to add another partition

hello,
    When I installed my Debian, I left 400 MB unpartitioned. Now I have a working system and I want to create a new partition on those 400 MB free space. i tryed with fdisk and when I wanted to create a new partition he said: "you must delete some partition and add an extended partition first". I really need that space without damaging the installed SO. Cand you help, please ?
    Thank You !

try using parted it's really nice and lets you resize partitions and stuff
    -lakerdonald

Re: I want to add another partition

Quote Originally Posted by abarbu
    hello,
    When I installed my Debian, I left 400 MB unpartitioned. Now I have a working system and I want to create a new partition on those 400 MB free space. i tryed with fdisk and when I wanted to create a new partition he said: "you must delete some partition and add an extended partition first". I really need that space without damaging the installed SO. Cand you help, please ?
    Thank You !
    If u want using this partition along with an other one use mkfs.ext3 to format it then edit ur fstab and add a line like this one:
    Code:
    /dev/urnewpartition  /mnt/urnewpartition  ext3  etc...
    If u want this 400Mb be part of an another existing partition listen lakerdonald and use either parted or qtparted (qtparted got a nice graphic mode )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i prefer the first version (because I don't have a graphic mode) but I don't know to use mkfs.ex3. I don;t even know if my free space is at the end of the last partition. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by abarbu
    i prefer the first version (because I don't have a graphic mode) but I don't know to use mkfs.ex3. I don;t even know if my free space is at the end of the last partition. Thanks !
    Not very difficult
    type:
    Code:
    man mkfs
    all is well explain
    As far as the situation of ur partition use cfdisk to know where this one is located on ur disk
    Then choose a solution

"you must delete some partition and add an extended partition first"
    Surely if there are no extended partitions then you can only have a maximum of ?4 partitions, can't you? It doesn't matter what partioning program is used. Or am I ovulating?
    All power is violence; all power is evil.
    Money As Debt