Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using my AntiX M8 Live CD to repair a hosed Windows installation, I downloaded ComboFix to ~/home/Desktop and now I'm trying to copy (cp) the file to /mnt/ where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cp won't work for NTFS, -- no write permission??

I'm using my AntiX M8 Live CD to repair a hosed Windows installation, I downloaded ComboFix to ~/home/Desktop and now I'm trying to copy (cp) the file to /mnt/ where I have already mounted the NTFS Windows partition.

NTFS3G is integrated into AntiX, right? So why am I having permissions errors?

Code:
    mepis1:/home/demo# cp -v Desktop/ComboFix.exe /mnt/SwSetup/
    `Desktop/ComboFix.exe' -> `/mnt/SwSetup/ComboFix.exe'
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/SwSetup/ComboFix.exe': Permission denied
    mepis1:/home/demo#
    So far, I can read it without any errors in Terminal and navigate through the whole filesystem in ROX-Filer, Do I need to edit /etc/fstab to be able to write to an ntfs drive?

Linux Guru
    Did you open Rox or Pcmanfm as root?
    Go to start button in Menu.Click run. Type in pcmanfm and tick the box in gexec to run as root. pcmanfm wil open with a big permission denied. Ignore it and close the wanrng.

Copy and paste to your hearts content. Works for me.

You can also do a apt-cache ntfs3g in terminal and make sure it is installed also/ Don't know why command line is failing you with permission denied since you are root user issuing the commands.

Edit: You mght have to alsoo open AntiX Control Center. Crossed wrenches on toolbar. Go to Disks.
    Use the Mount button in the menu under disks. Mount it in /media first before you run rox or pcmanfm as root from the run in start menu also.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-28-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Just Joined!
    Hello Rokytnji, thanks for replying

I did check if ntfs3g is installed, and it doesn't look like AntiX has it included.

Code:
    mepis1:/home/demo# apt-cache ntfs3g
    E: Invalid operation ntfs3g
    I'm confused, why can I mount NTFS drives if I don't have ntfs3g installed?

One more thing, there's no "crossed wrenches" or "start button" in my distro, I'm using FluxBox, maybe you have a different Window manager and toolbar?

EDIT: I'm currently mounting a USB drive with fat32, I'll download the files I need, and reboot into Windows. So far, so good.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Right click on Fluxbox (I was talking about Icewm) and you will see AntiXCC in the menu. I pretty much stay in Icewm instead of Fluxbox. Just a preference. Everything I suggested for Icewm can be done in fuxbox also (But only in AntiX full Iso. Not base). You never mentioned which Iso you booted, Whether base or Full Iso. Base Iso does not come with AntiX Control Center or NTFS3g because base iso is for installing what you want starting with a base system, AntiX control center only comes in Full Iso. NTFS3g also only comes with full iso.

Happy trails, Rok

Just Joined!
    I forgot the dash in ntfs-3g, and the showpkg switch too.

Yes, I have the base ISO, it's smaller file size is why I chose AntiX. Anyway, as you can see below, ntfs-3g is included in AntiX M8 Base.
    Code:
    mepis1:/home/demo# apt-cache showpkg ntfs-3g
    Package: ntfs-3g
    Versions: 
    1:2009.4.4-1 (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
     Description Language: 
                     File: /var/lib/dpkg/status
                      MD5: d3aafb88c19597ed6297ba8cf51242d6

Reverse Depends: 
    Dependencies: 
    1:2009.4.4-1 - libc6 (2 2.3.6-6~) libntfs-3g54 (0 (null)) 
    Provides: 
    1:2009.4.4-1 - 
    Reverse Provides:
    So how do I enable write access?
    The USB drive did not work, I spent the past 2 hours trying, either the drive is dead, or Windows doesn't like it. Weird thing is even though it mounts in Linux and Windows, when I try to copy files while running Windows, the system hangs with that "blue circle of death" going round and round. (Probably a dead drive)

I have never tired AntiX and can't suggest you any solution for it.
    Have you considered any LiveCD of any other distro? Try PartedMagic LiveCD. Its around 100MB download and works really fine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    Windows doesn't like it.
    Probably the problem is not that Windows does not like it. But that the malware infecting the computer recognizes what you are trying to do and stopping yiou.

Have you tried renaming whatever you are trying to paste into windows? Some Malware is smarter than the user.