Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
it also looks like you downloaded a prebuilt vmware image and didn't actually install debian, is that correct? You can't know for sure how it was installed. Can you post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

it also looks like you downloaded a prebuilt vmware image and didn't actually install debian, is that correct? You can't know for sure how it was installed.

Can you post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list

also run
    #apt-get update
    #apt-get upgrade

and post the output of those.

Here are the current Lenny versions of the packages in question:
    Package Version
    gcc 4:4.3.2-2
    gcc-4.3 4.3.2-1.1
    libc6 2.7-18lenny4
    cpp 4:4.3.2-2
    cpp-4.3 4.3.2-1.1
    I think that covers what you need and all the dependencies are satisfied. If there is still a problem and you want more help (at least from me) you'll need to post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list
    jdk

Just Joined!
    Finally! After so many dependencies it worked!
    I still got another question, I ask as a newbie in the whole business.
    To install the packages I put them in an iso file, select it in the option in my vmware, reboot the system (by using the reboot function) and then mount everything. I was wondering if you guys know any easier way to do it without rebooting. Because when I change the virtual disks it doesnt let me mount again unless I reboot.
    My second question is, how do I get to read and change the codes of the libraries? As a part of my school project I want to change some of the libraries and I need to know how to get their code, change and compile.
    Thanks in advance

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To install the packages I put them in an iso file, select it in the option in my vmware, reboot the system (by using the reboot function) and then mount everything. I was wondering if you guys know any easier way to do it without rebooting. Because when I change the virtual disks it doesnt let me mount again unless I reboot.
    I don't know anything about vmware and how different it may be from "normal" Debian. In Debian you almost never reboot after installing software. The only exception that comes to mind are new kernels (called linux-images) and kernel related stuff. The normal way of installing and upgrading software is with a package manager. Most people use aptitude and maintaining your system and installing new software are boringly simple. That vmware method you describe above sounds absolutely horrible to me. No wonder you're having problems. I admire your patience. So are you saying that is the only way to add/update software using vmware? What a bummer!

My second question is, how do I get to read and change the codes of the libraries? As a part of my school project I want to change some of the libraries and I need to know how to get their code, change and compile.
    You can get the source code for any package and play with it to your heart's content. I know how to do it the normal way but I have no idea about how to do it in vmware.
    ciao,
    jdk

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
    I don't know anything about vmware and how different it may be from "normal" Debian. In Debian you almost never reboot after installing software. The only exception that comes to mind is new kernel's (called linux-images) and kernel related stuff. The normal way of installing and upgrading packages with a package manager. Most people use aptitude and maintaining your system and installing new software are boringly simple. That vmware method you describe above sounds absolutely horrible to me. No wonder you're having problems. I admire your patience. So are you saying that is the only way to add/update software using vmware? What a bummer!

You can get the source code for any package and play with it to your heart's content. I know how to do it the normal way but I have no idea about how to do it in vmware.
    ciao,
    jdk
    Thanks for the help. I believe there is a better way than that even with vmware. I just don't know to do it but if you don't work with vmware I'll just try to find an answer somewhere in the depth of google. About playing with the code, I don't really see why should the normal way be any different from doing it in vmware. I just thought that all of the people who change the code use it for the safety of their computer. But I really am a 17 year old kid who is trying to study so I can't really judge the differences between working with vmware or the "normal" debian.

Thanks for the help. I believe there is a better way than that even with vmware. I just don't know to do it but if you don't work with vmware I'll just try to find an answer somewhere in the depth of google. About playing with the code, I don't really see why should the normal way be any different from doing it in vmware. I just thought that all of the people who change the code use it for the safety of their computer. But I really am a 17 year old kid who is trying to study so I can't really judge the differences between working with vmware or the "normal" debian.
    No problem. I'm happy to try to help. I can tell you about the normal way and it works or it doesn't. I need to know what you have installed. Do you have dpkg installed? (this is both the program and the package name containing the program). It lives at. /usr/bin/dpkg. How about apt-get or apititude?
    ciao,
    jdk

Just Joined!
    yeah I got dpkg installed.
    dpkg is what I use to install my packages, I use "dpkg -i"
    and I got apt-get too

Do you have an /etc/apt/sources.list? If yes, can you post its contents.
    jdk

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
    Do you have an /etc/apt/sources.list? If yes, can you post its contents.
    jdk
    its ok I figured it out thanks

I'm glad it's sorted. As a service to others you can mark this thread as Solved.
    ciao,
    jdk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2