Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'day everyone, SCENARIO: I'm working on an idea to help my little sister use her school laptop to surf the web while connected to the home network, the problem is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to create a web url proxy server

G'day everyone,

SCENARIO:
    I'm working on an idea to help my little sister use her school laptop to surf the web while connected to the home network, the problem is that it is quite locked down (great for the school administrators I suppose). The biggest hurdle is, it has a program installed (Bluecoat) to limit internet access to only websites in its "white list" however websites located on the same network are not subject to filtering...Also, I can't change the proxy settings in the browser as it is locked out.

WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO:
    I'd like to create a web proxy similar to https://kproxy.com/ for use in my home network which will sit behind my NAT/router/firewall (IPCop). Out of heaps of them on the net, I like this one because it encrypts the URL you are visiting, it would be great if I could turn this on and off...however, this is not essential to meet my requirements.

I've posted this in the Debian forum as I'm most familiar with it, but I'd be happy to use any distro to achieve my goal. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Griffo

Just Joined!
    You can make your own proxy website with glype script. it free, easy to install and configured. some best proxy website i know can solve your problem
    proxymonster.us
    Anonymouse.org

Contact kids in Los Angeles the LA school district gave kids iPads and in couple weeks they all had cracked the software to surf anywhere, so the schools took back all the tablets till the can lock them down even more.

If these are laptops don't they have a USB port or CD drive you could use a boot a Live Linux? Could just get her, her own laptop or tablet.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your replies, this thread is a little old though.
    I did actually find the answer to this but had not updated this with my solution...sorry about that.

The script I ended up using was Glype (go to http://www.glype.com/ download the latest script and build a linux machine with the pre-reqs then install files in www directory). The last time I used it there were some problems with some sites like ebay and facebook, they may have resolved this issue in later releases.