Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by AdvMutant For now, I'm gonna re-install Suse, and do it correctly this time. You haven't said what install medium you are using; if it is the full ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by AdvMutant View Post
    For now, I'm gonna re-install Suse, and do it correctly this time.
    You haven't said what install medium you are using; if it is the full DVD, you should have the option to install as much stuff/fluff/cruft as you would like.

Once you have preliminarily selected which GUI you want and all the stuff such as time zones and languages, it presents an install summary. If you click on 'software' (I think that's the label on the link, but it could be something related), you get the option to add lots of other stuff, such as other GUIs, LAMP stack apps, languages, monitoring apps, more office apps etc, etc, (etc, etc...).

If you only have the install CD (KDE Live, Gnome Live) there isn't much on the CD apart from that one GUI and the few necessary office apps to give you a taster, so you can't do all that much more with one of those.

Just Joined!
    Haha... Shalom!

@previso, yes I know Windows very well, but that 'crap' is needed for the system to run well. Maybe install isn't the right word, I mean download. It have to download a lot of data before I can log into the system, unlike Windows. I got used to the empty system you get after installation, and started to like it, as it gives a new meaning to a 'fresh system installation'...

For now, I'm gonna re-install Suse, and do it correctly this time.

PS. It's awesome that I try a new distro every 1-2 days, I always liked messing with new OSes.
    Everyone has their own opinions on being distro junkies and many of those opinions are quite informed. Just advising caution is all.

Too late... Yesterday I formatted Linux's partitions with PartedMagic, so GRUB gave me an error. I tried restoring XP's boot loader, but it gave me a HAL.DLL error. I tried copying a fresh copy from the CD, still the same. Tried rebuilding boot.ini, nothing. I ended up reinstalling XP and allocating a 30GB partition for virtual machines...

ved

Smile

Too late... Yesterday I formatted Linux's partitions with PartedMagic, so GRUB gave me an error. I tried restoring XP's boot loader, but it gave me a HAL.DLL error. I tried copying a fresh copy from the CD, still the same. Tried rebuilding boot.ini, nothing. I ended up reinstalling XP and allocating a 30GB partition for virtual machines...
    you use grub disk for repapering boot loader use link given below
    Boot Problems Open Source Tools | Super Grub Disk, Super Grub2 Disk and Rescatux
    Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
    New Users : Read This First

There is a difference in the content between the CD and the DVD versions of the OS, the DVD containing all the applications available. The CD has the basics necessary for initial operation, additional features having to be downloaded from the web.
    Additionally, when you get here:

click on "Software" to choose packages other than the default selection.

Thank you guys. Just tell me, is it fine to run Suse as a virtual system for like 2 months just to get used to it?

ved
    you can run Suse as a virtual system it depends on the ram on your system and read documentation and use it .

ved
    you can run Suse as a virtual system it depends on the ram on your system and read documentation and use it .

Just Joined!
    Hey... I have just installed Debian, and I'm having a problem with it - I can't add another typing language. It's kinda problematic, cause I'm not English.

On the other hand, with OpenSuse, I'm having problems with applications and the ones I install don't show up on the menu.

So... Basically they both are the same now. I'm not quite sure which one is better for me, any suggestions? Right now, I'm running Debian on a Desktop PC, but the target computer is a Asus 10.1" Eee PC(a netbook, or subnoteboook), not yet sure which model. I'm gonna use it mainly for reading Ebooks and programming. In case it helps, I HATE when the computer does thing w/o my premission, thus I want it to do exactly what I tell it to(that's why C/C++ are the best for me), not less and not more. I'm also a very new Linux user and I have only used Windows before. If there is a distro that better suits my needs, let me know.

PS. I have already tried Linux Mint and Kubuntu too, bit I don't like them.
    dpkg-reconfigure locales on Debian should help you with with language issues.

Just Joined!
    Suse has succeeded perfectly with graphical installation but i dont like that distribution due to you gotta do things in "Suse´s ways".

Debian is more for users who have experience from Linux and wants to do things in their ways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast