Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hey... I have just installed Debian, and I'm having a problem with it - I can't add another typing language. It's kinda problematic, cause I'm not English. On the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool OpenSuse vs. Debian

Hey... I have just installed Debian, and I'm having a problem with it - I can't add another typing language. It's kinda problematic, cause I'm not English.

On the other hand, with OpenSuse, I'm having problems with applications and the ones I install don't show up on the menu.

So... Basically they both are the same now. I'm not quite sure which one is better for me, any suggestions? Right now, I'm running Debian on a Desktop PC, but the target computer is a Asus 10.1" Eee PC(a netbook, or subnoteboook), not yet sure which model. I'm gonna use it mainly for reading Ebooks and programming. In case it helps, I HATE when the computer does thing w/o my premission, thus I want it to do exactly what I tell it to(that's why C/C++ are the best for me), not less and not more. I'm also a very new Linux user and I have only used Windows before. If there is a distro that better suits my needs, let me know.

PS. I have already tried Linux Mint and Kubuntu too, bit I don't like them.

ved

Smile

you should try to chose your disrto form here
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/new...e-posting.html
    Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
    New Users : Read This First

Just Joined!
    You are asking a lot of questions here (which is fine), but need to unpack them individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdvMutant View Post
    Hey... I have just installed Debian, and I'm having a problem with it - I can't add another typing language. It's kinda problematic, cause I'm not English.
    By typing language, do you mean programming language or human language? Both are in the repositories, but will need far more information from you.

On the other hand, with OpenSuse, I'm having problems with applications and the ones I install don't show up on the menu.
    Cannot help you with opensuse. Apologies.
    So... Basically they both are the same now. I'm not quite sure which one is better for me, any suggestions?
    This is a rather difficult question, as we have no idea really what you are looking for. The above person suggested that link as a good place to start and will advise the same. Is there a particular function or desktop or something else you need or what is the real need that has not been expressed?

Right now, I'm running Debian on a Desktop PC,
    WOuld advise you look at that link and narrow your focus on a number of conflicting issues.

but the target computer is a Asus 10.1" Eee PC(a netbook, or subnoteboook), not yet sure which model. I'm gonna use it mainly for reading Ebooks and programming.
    Unless am mistaken, pretty much all distros will do these rather simple tasks (at least as stated).

In case it helps, I HATE when the computer does thing w/o my premission, thus I want it to do exactly what I tell it to(that's why C/C++ are the best for me), not less and not more. I'm also a very new Linux user and I have only used Windows before. If there is a distro that better suits my needs, let me know.

PS. I have already tried Linux Mint and Kubuntu too, bit I don't like them.
    Finding a linux distro has many facets and the best that we can do is offer suggestions.

Hope that helps

Paul

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    For Debian Default User Languge

Locale - Debian Wiki

DebianHebrew - Debian Wiki

user-he should be in Synaptic. Do a apt-get update as root in terminal and close terminal when done
    before opening synaptic to get latest package for your release.

Debian -- Details of package user-he in lenny
    Last edited by rokytnji; 10-13-2010 at 03:23 AM.

OK, just woke up this morning.

Thanks for all your help guys. The quizes at the 'Which distro?' are kinda weird... The first gives me 100% to a half, and 90% to what's left. The other one is'nt very specific. I noticed that both suggested OpenSuse, but I'm still not very sure about it. Debian is a stron stable OS(right?) and that's exactly what I was looking for in Linux. Now all I gotta do is to get used to it's difficult nature, and Linux's weird file system. Other than that, I'm fine.

And, by typing language I obviously mean a human language(LOL that reminds me of a programming language in hebrew I found at school...).
    I'm gonna try to mess around with Debian for now, maybe I'll install Suse later.

I've just installed hebrew, gona re-login to see if it works.
    -EDIT-
    It does. Thanks!

ved

Smile

i hope it works for you
    Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
    New Users : Read This First

It did. In fact, I think I like Suse better...
    The problem is that I have to download a ton of crap befoe I can even start it...

Microsoft installation automatically installs a lot of "crap" of which the user is unaware. Linux has a minimal installation for operation, and subsequent "crap" as the user makes additional choices. (You could not run Windows without a GUI, but you can in Linux).
    I run Suse LXDE on an old laptop and Suse KDE on my desktop. However, a newbie may find Knoppix a rewarding first distro. The drawback for users migrating from years of Microsoft is really the "starting over" .
    If you had s-l-o-w-l-y looked at your installation options, 90% of what you now want would have been installed. Don't dispair, your are building an environment custom-made for your needs.
    I'll be glad to help w/any Suse questions.

Just Joined!
    It did. In fact, I think I like Suse better...
    The problem is that I have to download a ton of crap befoe I can even start it...
    Everyone's needs and tolerance for various amounts of crap/fluff/etc varies from person to person. Personally speaking, I liked the layout and some of that sort of stuff with opensuse, but could not deal with the cruft and fluff. I eventually settled on straight ubuntu, though am toying with Linux-from-scratch, as they no longer really support legacy hardware very well any more. Glad was able to help somewhat.

Shalom,

Paul

Haha... Shalom!

@previso, yes I know Windows very well, but that 'crap' is needed for the system to run well. Maybe install isn't the right word, I mean download. It have to download a lot of data before I can log into the system, unlike Windows. I got used to the empty system you get after installation, and started to like it, as it gives a new meaning to a 'fresh system installation'...

For now, I'm gonna re-install Suse, and do it correctly this time.

PS. It's awesome that I try a new distro every 1-2 days, I always liked messing with new OSes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast