Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] saving JPEG photos on ASUS Linux to view in Windows later

Hello! I sure hope someone can help me. I am NOT a techie, so if you reply, please be ultra, dumb-downed clear!

I have a 20GB ASUS 900 ee PC that runs on Linux (Debian, I think, but am not sure...) My bib computer runs on Windows, and I use the big one for Photoshop, etc.

I can save photos from my camera's card to ASUS no problem, and from there to a flash drive. HOWEVER, when I save them directly from the card via ASUS with no changes made to the photo, these same photos ARE NOT VISIBLE in Windows. The file type is listed as FILE and not JPEG, which it should be, since that's how my camera's card is set up. Therefore, I cannot open these files in Windows.

I experimented by 'fixing up' some photos in GIMP on ASUS and saving them specifically as JPEG. I save them to My Pictures and then to my flash, sometimes just directly to the flash. These photos DO show up on my big computer.

My problem is this: I travel and take a lot of photos. I would like to upload all photos to ASUS, and then easily save them to a flash for later transfer to my big Windows computer, but if I have to GIMP each one individually, this would take forever!

Can someone help? There must be an easy way to do this without GIMP, but how?? Please be very clear...

I have tried saving them in File Manager and Photo Manager, but no luck in later viewing in Windows from flash.

I

I guess the question is, are the files in a different format that
    needs converting, or are they merely missing the .jpeg
    filename extension. Your camera's documentation would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog4860 View Post
    The file type is listed as FILE and not JPEG, which it should be, since that's how my camera's card is set up. Therefore, I cannot open these files in Windows.
    I'm pretty sure Windows disregards the actual contents of the file and relies solely on the extension ('.jpg', '.txt', '.exe', etc.) of a file to determine its type (arguably a very bad way of doing things, but that's a different topic). So I'd guess that your image files do not have a '.jpg' extension on them. Try renaming the files on your Asus computer so that they end in '.jpg', and see if you can open them on Windows.

Also, if you don't know what GNU/Linux distribution (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.) you're running, open up a terminal ('Applications' -> 'Accessories' -> 'Terminal' in the Gnome environment) and run the following command:
    Code:
    lsb_release -a

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Talking Thank you, thank you!!!

-->
    Dear PehJota and RC Green,

Thanks so much for your replies, so fast, wow!

Who would have thought it could be so simple? Me, actually, but didn't know how...

After I uploaded them to my big Windows computer, I simply added .jpeg to the previously 'invisible' photos from my ASUS, and voila, there they were!

So easy....and I thank you very much. Hurrah!