Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I boot up my computer sometimes the bios screen is blank, and debian will load up blank too. When the bios screen does show up, sometimes when debian goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting up trouble

When I boot up my computer sometimes the bios screen is blank, and debian will load up blank too.
    When the bios screen does show up, sometimes when debian goes into gnome it goes blank there and complains that it can't find a screen, but if I get to the log in screen I'll never have problems after that, any ideas on what could be happening?

edit: I am using lenny if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sandraider View Post
    When I boot up my computer sometimes the bios screen is blank, and debian will load up blank too.
    When the bios screen does show up, sometimes when debian goes into gnome it goes blank there and complains that it can't find a screen, but if I get to the log in screen I'll never have problems after that, any ideas on what could be happening?

edit: I am using lenny if that matters.
    sandraider

Hi!

Can you post more details please about your machine?

Also, is this a fresh install? Live CD or Network?

Thanks!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    hey thanks for replying, I got a system report for you, it only exports in html I think, so here is a link to the html code pastebin.com/sQgEpyzx . It is an old live minimal cd install from September.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If your willing to give it a try, I suggest you download a CD/DVD release from here.

Download the "stable" version for your architecture. Mine is i386.

You can just get the 1st CD.

As I said, mine is i386 so I just get the CD-1 here.

You might have a better result in a fresh install using this CD.

By the way, if you can install with your internet cable attached, it would be better since it would automatically update your system. It's been quite a while since I used lenny but I guess its worth a try.

Good luck!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    are you sure a reinstall is necessary? I'm thinking its more of a hardware issue now.

Linux Guru
    Sounds like a Hardware issue if bios screen does not show either. Bios and Lenny install are seperate. If Desktop. Try a different monitor, VGA cable, if using PCI card for graphics try using motherboard vga plug.

If Laptop. You either have the inverter going bad or loose cable between inverter and screen (which can also go bad). Inverter can be tested by hooking up external moniter to see if problem goes away. That narrows down the problem between cable and screen on Laptop.

Old Blog post of mine on how I fixed a Older IBM Laptop with bad cable connection and broken screen hinge.
    Yet Another Technology Site: Fixing Old Gear

Just Joined!
    sorry about the dely, great article, I'm going to try to take apart me laptop this weekend