Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm running a dual-boot with Windows 7 and Linux Mint Debian. My firefox version is 3.6.8 If from my firefox browser I go to Help/CheckforUpdates, I get the following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question [SOLVED] Upgrading Firefox on Linux

Hello. I'm running a dual-boot with Windows 7 and Linux Mint Debian.
    My firefox version is 3.6.8
    If from my firefox browser I go to Help/CheckforUpdates, I get the following message:

"Unable to Update"
    A recommended security and stability update is available, but you do not have the system permissions required to install it. . .

does anyone know of a how-to as to how to manually upgrade my firefox to the latest version (including how to purge the existing version from my system)? Thanks for the help.

Linux Newbie

Thumbs up Solved : Upgrading firefox

I figured it out with some help. I just went to my terminal, logged in as superuser, and ran firefox. (which was in the /opt/firefox directory)
    Then when I went to Help/Check for Updates, it found the update and downloaded it. From there, I exited out of my browser and restarted it. At first I was upset because the version of firefox hadn't changed! Then I noticed that when I went to Help Menu, "Check for Updates" had changed to "Install Downloaded Updates". I clicked on this and the updates were installed. I then chose to restart firefox and, when I checked the version, it was the latest and greatest. The key to the whole thing is to be in superuser mode before invoking firefox.