Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to enable Desktop Effects in Ubuntu 10.10. So far, when I enable, the system will crash/freeze and the only way out is a hard shutdown. So my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Enabling Desktop Effects: Best driver for Radeon Xpress 200m

I am trying to enable Desktop Effects in Ubuntu 10.10. So far, when I enable, the system will crash/freeze and the only way out is a hard shutdown.

So my question is. Which driver is the best to use for enabling these effects?

Thank you.

Update: My Sabayon system is running compiz fine, so I searched the package manager for ati and discovered xf86-video-ati is installed. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but I just thought I would provide that update.
    Last edited by nxn00b; 11-18-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Yes, open source ati driver does support 3D acceleration for the xpress 200. I have a laptop with the same card and it does work. My experience with Ubuntu has been that 9.10 worked, 10.04 had troubles, and I haven't tried 10.10. However, in no case has performance been great, I'm afraid.

The Arch wiki has some ideas for tweaking your xorg.conf to help with performance.

Just Joined!
    Hi Reed.
    Yea it isn't very stable right now. I have never been able to get it working fine in Ubuntu though. Sabayon has always been flawless on default without any changes. I wonder why Ubuntu can't recognize and set this up as default if sabayon can. As far as xf86-video-ati is concerned, I couldn't find that driver in Ubuntu. The only ati driver I can find has no Install or uninstall link on it and is greyed out.

Thanks for the link by the way. I'll have to check that out when I get a chance.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ubuntu calls the package for the open source driver xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

Just Joined!
    Oh ok. Well that one is definitely installed.