Find the answer to your Linux question:
The following is what I want to accomplish !! I want to use a system like AD on linux. I've heard Samba is capable of doing that. eg. There are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running Debian on a USB HDD

The following is what I want to accomplish !!

I want to use a system like AD on linux. I've heard Samba is capable of doing that. eg. There are 10 client computers in my network with Windows XP and Server PC with Debian Linux.

Currently the networking is done on a P2P basis by setting a workgroup but I want to make it a client Server kind of a networking system where the usernames and passwords is stored on the Debian Server and the clients are authenticated against that .. Also which ever PC they use they should get their user directory files irrespective of the computer they use...

finally once all that is done ... I want to create a custom Debian DVD with the settings pertaining to my network... so that in case of a server failure.. all i have to do is just reinstall from this DVD and voila .. Everything set back to normal...

Just Joined!
    Why not run a a Window's server in virtual on your Debian Server and have it do the AD authenticating. Then if the Windows server gets pooched it is very easy to set back up. Also this is easier to move it to another bigger/faster linux box in the future. I have used this in the past and found it easier to set up than Samba.

codger51 gives good advice, particularly if you need actual ADS. Samba 3 can act as a NT4 PDC, and can provide some of the the features of ADS, but not all, most notably GPOs.