Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to setup a temporary media center because the one I was using died. The computer I have to work with is a crappy old computer and its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Distro should I use?

I am trying to setup a temporary media center because the one I was using died. The computer I have to work with is a crappy old computer and its only purpose is going to be a middle man between a server I have for movie storage, and my TV. I don't want to spend any money right now because I'm working on building a MythTV system at home, so until then I'm trying to setup this temporary solution.

The computer I have to work with is a Dell Optiplex GX150, everything stock.

I'm looking for a distro that is light enough to run on this machine without any problems (about a 1 gighz processor and a 1/2 a gig of ram), can display movies just fine, and must be able to support 1080 resolution.

I've tried Mint 10, but that's way too top heavy, as is Ubuntu 10.10 and 10.04.

Any suggestions?

(edit: I also tried gOS which displayed the resolution just fine, but was WAY too resource intense for this machine... Just clicking on the menu took 5-10 seconds same as with Mint)

Oh and thanks in advanced!

I would try a Debian NetInstall. This installs a basic Debian text system to which you then add a graphical desktop and the applications you want. I can recommend lxde as a good lightweight desktop. I can run it on half the ram you have.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

A basic Arch Linux install might work well for you too, especially if you choose to stick with a lightweight window manager, or you can stick with the command line.
    oz

1 ghz isn't going to be able to playback 1080 or even 720p video, if that is what you're thinking

480p might be OK, its tough to say

if you have an nvidia graphics card you might be ok for up to 720p, but its still iffy to me

You mention Ubuntu and Mint, if you like those try the lighter versions, Lubuntu or Mint LXDE.
    Registered Linux user #526930