Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Wow. Where do I start. First of all I am basically a newbie. I have used linux quite a lot but the command line is still quite foreign to me. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blank screen after an apparent update to 6.0

Wow. Where do I start. First of all I am basically a newbie. I have used linux quite a lot but the command line is still quite foreign to me. Let's say I am a 2 with 10 being a complete newbie and 1 being an expert. Anyways I have an extra Celeron pc with only 512 mb of ram and since we have a need for another pc I decided to give debian a whirl since it is known for having a rather light footprint.

Anyways this pc is not near the router so I was planning to use wireless. It doesn't have a dvd player so I downloaded cd1 and did the install. It didn't recognize my wlan card but the drivers were easy to find. This after I manually downloaded synaptic from another pc, and then used dpkg to install it. Hey well I guess that means I was using the command line lol. Anyways it seems that none of my sources or at least most of them were missing because everytime I would go to install a package (I was trying to get video and audio codecs for my wife), it would tell that there were dependencies that it couldn't download. I was searching and searching for good sources for my new synaptic so I could get the codecs working and basically I took from here and there basically adding lots of sources. Finally it seemed that when I would use synaptic, it would find all of the dependencies. I fixed it or so I thought. Basically, after downloading lot's of different codecs and my movies (for my wife mind you) still had no sound, I gave up and decided to try vlc since that always seems to fix my codec problems in Windows.

When I went to install vlc, it had if I remember correctly 508 dependencies and something like 200 mb to download. I was like woaaah. That's a lot but I guess I figured that if I wanted to get the videos working for the wife, that this was the price to pay. After like a forever download and a 30 minute install, it finally seemed to be working. I opened the files with vlc and what do you know? Sound. I just wanted to add a bittorrent client so I started to download azureas which I am also familiar with from Windows. It also was fairly large but that was mostly because of Java. Anyways, in the middle of the download, my usb hub fell to which my wireless card was connected and the internet went out. I tried a few things but it didn't work so I decided to restart.

After the restart I noticed that there were now 4 choices in GRUB instead of 2. If I am not mistaken, it said that it was now kernel 2.6.35 kernel and I knew that I was at 2.6.26. Anyways I decided to start the new one. It loaded fine until it got to the desktop. It gave me some errors (indicating that gnome couldn't load) which I did not write down but I did do some searching and found a suggestion to do a apt-get dist-upgrade since it does eventually kick you back to the command line. I did that and then after a long process, it eventually gave me a nice new blue starry looking desktop with a login screen. I also noticed just before that, that one of the text lines while it was loading said Debian 6.0 which was quite alarming since I thought I was using 5.0.8. In any event I logged in and then I got a grey screen with that white spinning thing indicating that it was thinking and after a longer than normal wait, the blue starry desktop came back but that was it. There was no bar at the top or bottom. There were no icons. It did nothing when I right-clicked. This is where I am. I am presently at work so I cannot do anything right now but tell me what I should do. Any logs that I should send. I will just log into puppy linux live cd. Can I go back? I noticed that 6.0 is beta and I would rather not be in beta.

Thanks so much
    Last edited by baruch1; 02-02-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo

Just Joined!
    6.0 is still beta, for about 5 further days. Then it is stable.

Make sure gnome is installed. Some gnome-stuff was removed during the upgrade.
    I am not a gnome-user, but it doesn't sound very serious.

Have a look at the output of this (as a first hint):
    apt-cache policy gnome-core
    apt-cache policy gnome-desktop-environment
    dpkg -l | grep gnome | less

Post your /etc/apt/sources.list

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tornow View Post
    6.0 is still beta, for about 5 further days. Then it is stable.

Make sure gnome is installed. Some gnome-stuff was removed during the upgrade.
    I am not a gnome-user, but it doesn't sound very serious.

Have a look at the output of this (as a first hint):

Pardon my ignorance, but how can I save the output of those commands to a text file? Normally it would be copy and paste but that's not an option.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    apt-cache policy gnome-core > output_apt_core.txt
    or
    Code:
    apt-cache policy gnome-core | tee  output_apt_core.txt
    For sources list
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list > sources.txt
    What is more comfortable is to boot into a live-CD (or second installation),
    mount the partition and some system-stuff, and chroot into it.
    Then you can copy and paste the output into a web-browser.
    Assuming Debian is on /dev/sda1:

Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/disk
    mount -o bind /dev /media/disk/dev
    mount -t proc /proc /media/disk/proc
    mount -o bind /sys /media/disk/sys
    chroot /media/disk
    run the commands, copy and paste the output.
    exit
    umount /media/disk/{sys,proc,dev}
    umount /media/disk
    i hope i ain't got errors, but you never can know.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tornow View Post
    Attached as aptCore.txt

Attached as aptDesktop.txt

Code:
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version        Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    un  gnome          <none>         (no description available)
    ii  grep           2.6.3-3        GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
    (END)

I have attached the sources file and renamed it with a txt extension for attaching purposes because I don't have enough posts yet
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!
    As you can see you ain't got gnome-core and you ain't got gnome-desktop-environment installed.
    You need one of them.
    If you install gnome-core you will get the core (duh), but need to install applications, tools, themes on your own and one by one.
    It might sound like trouble/work, but you will avoid other problems in the long run
    (search for "aptitude --keep-all" or "metapacke-problem" or so).
    Else install gnome-desktop-environment.

Your sources list is very big. I only got the Debian-repos and multimedia, but that is your choice. In other words: a lot of the sources you got i don't know.
    But:
    You got the line:
    Code:
    deb ftp://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    So you are running testing.
    Why you got that line i can't tell you (or why you did run stable/lenny before).
    It sounds a bit strange.

As in a few days 6.0 is stable i would change all "testing" to "squeeze", cause else you will run into the next unwanted upgrade.

good luck.

Curious why you are discussing Gnome when

### Enlightment E17 Official Repository ###

deb edevelop.org testing main
    is in your /etc/apt/sources.list which is the repository for the Enlightenment Desktop.
    Are you running E17 and trying to log into Gnome (which is not installed) instead of E17 at login screen? E17 if installed can be picked from sessions on login screen if installed.

Edit: I think your above entry for E17 is incorrect also. refer to

alphagemini.org

should be

Code:
    deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ unstable main
    which is for Debian Sid which you are not running. Your mix and match of repos is probably what is borking your install of Debian. I would do a reinstall like mentioned in above post of Debian Squeeze when it is released as Debian Stable in a few days. Just my opinion since you say you are new at this.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 02-03-2011 at 04:00 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Two things:
    I didn't say re-install, i said change your sources to "squeeze", once "squeeze" is stable you can change them to "stable".
    I don't say re-installing is a bad idea, only that i did not say that (i try to avoid re-installing, but i also try to avoid too much of trouble).

----
    For enlightenment:
    As far i know the maintainer of alphagemini is also working for enlightenment-version in the Debian repos. It was in experimental, but now is in Sid/unstable.
    I haven't used the alphagemini-repo for very long, but it might still work.

The repo you got in your sources i don't know

I would go for the official enlightenment-repo:
    Enlightenment binary packages

-----
    And yes, i agree, i have never had the need for such a sources.list.
    I got debian-main and debian-multimedia main
    for unstable. That is tiny, but i don't do much things.

Looks to me like when you were having trouble with your sources.list you did a copy paste on something you found on the internet, hence all the specialty repos like the enlightenment one there and the fact is changed to testing, so when you did a dist-upgrade, you moved from 5.0.8 to the Debian 6 beta?

There is a handy online sources.list generator for the future, if you need help recreating a good list.

Two things:
    I didn't say re-install, i said change your sources to "squeeze", once "squeeze" is stable you can change them to "stable".
    I don't say re-installing is a bad idea, only that i did not say that (i try to avoid re-installing, but i also try to avoid too much of trouble).
    My Bad and I apologize. I was up late last night and my brain was tired is all I can say.

I was not using quick reply so I was posting from tired memory so I posted without re reading above post. Again, sorry.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast