Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just switched over from ubuntu/mint and debian is a little bit tougher for me. I installed the debian cd net iso onto my hard drive with the graphical installer. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

the gui interface did'nt come up when i installed debian?

I just switched over from ubuntu/mint and debian is a little bit tougher for me. I installed the debian cd net iso onto my hard drive with the graphical installer. then I restarted the machine and debian began loading, but only a command prompt came up that ask me to login so I did and still no gui interface. So I tried typing in startx and it said it didn't recognize the command.....any suggestions?....thanx..

If you didn't select a desktop environment during the installation, a net CD install will not give you one.

Assuming a working internet connection, you can use tasksel to install a GUI.

Linux Newbie
    An alternative to reed9's suggestion is aptitude, the package manager you can access in the console or a desktop terminal (just type 'aptitude'). You may need to set the repos in /etc/apt/sources.list. After updating the pkg list, you can install whatever environment you want.

Just Joined!
    You can go to the command line, yes, but that's pretty intimidating for a newbie. In your place I'd just start over with this step by step tutorial.

[crap now I'm told I can't post a link) Google the following:

debian squeeze net install tutorial

and look for the link to the tutorial on howtoforge dot com

The step you missed is on page two under "Software selection".

I hate this forum. First I couldn't read the thread due to the obstructive, offensive floating ads, then, after I logged in and typed a reply I was told I had to log in AGAIN and everything I typed was lost (so I started over). Very frustrating.

I love Debian. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. The default desktop is gnome, which I don't like, but it's quite easy to use Synaptic to install KDE4 (which I dislike but I prefer it to gnome, I miss KDE3.5).

I hate this forum. First I couldn't read the thread due to the obstructive, offensive floating ads,
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/fee...tml#post831526

I don't get any ads.

[crap now I'm told I can't post a link)
    It's a spam prevention feature on this forum. After 15 posts. You'll be able to post links then.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Mrg123, keep your installation as is make sure you are connected to the internet.

- Switch to the root user:
    Code:
    su
    Enter root user password
    - Update the system
    Code:
    aptitude update
    - Upgrade the system
    Code:
    aptitude dist-upgrade
    If you want to install KDE with KDM Login manager:
    Code:
    aptitude install xorg kdm-core kde-core
    If you want to install Gnome with GDM login manager:
    Code:
    aptitude install xorg gdm-core gnome-core
    From this point when you restart the computer you will see a graphical login manager and you will have a desktop once you login. You can then install software as needed and solve any video audio problems as they are encountered.

Linux Newbie
    @ Eldergeek

You can go to the command line, yes, but that's pretty intimidating for a newbie.
    True, but (like both of us) someone's post count isn't a sure way to know who is/isn't a newbie. If they respond with more questions, then a reply like lindylex posted is a good way to go.

I couldn't read the thread due to the obstructive, offensive floating ads
    The NoScript extention works for that.

In case its needed... if root login is declined during the netinstall installation, it installs sudo and doesn't ask for a root password. Problem is, sudo has very limited permissions and aptitude isn't included.

To create a root password:
    Code:
    sudo passwd root

[sudo] password for (username):    (enter username password)

Enter new UNIX password:    (new root password)

Retype new UNIX password:   (new root password)

passwd: password updated successfully

Just Joined!
    Rok, I didn't know the ads would go away after I logged in, I was just trying to read the thread and decide whether or not I could contribute anything before logging in. Being forced to log in a second time and retype my reply, on the heels of being annoyed with the ads (which I wouldn't have had to see if I'd just logged in) made me grumpy.

Lindylex, the steps you itemize will work but won't the final installation be without a large number of potentially useful apps that would have been installed by default if "desktop environment" had been selected during the net install?

Reading this thread was enlightening; I wasn't aware that sudo was installed by default in squeeze (it was not in previous stable versions). Of course, by now, I'm in the habit of using "su" so I'll probably just stick with it.

Just got told I had to log in again but this time I copied my reply to Leafpad so I can just paste it back in after I log in, again. [This hasn't been my day]

Linux forums alive and well, Debian gui not

first: @Elder
    Just got told I had to log in again but this time I copied my reply to Leafpad so I can just paste it back in after I log in, again. [This hasn't been my day]
    Yesterday, wasn't my day. here's hoping you have a better tomorrow.

@ Mr. G 123: I liked lindy's apt update route, but watchout for special/unusual hardware

thirdly: I did not know about tasksel and now I do, thanks Linux Forums