Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to the forum, not new to Linux. Recently I installed DEBIAN 6.0 amd64. Since then I have been unable to do netbanking (at least with linux) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

missing 64 bit java plugin -workaround?

Hello, I am new to the forum, not new to Linux. Recently I installed DEBIAN 6.0 amd64. Since then I have been unable to do netbanking (at least with linux) due to the missing 64bit java applet plugin, which does the authentication. I cannot get the 32bit plugin working with my browsers (epiphany, iceweasel).
    Mozilla.org remmonds using a 32bit browser. I then installed FIREFOX (32bit), however, it refuses to run : "unable to locate libgtk-x11..." to make it short: the library actually exists on my system (I located it), something else must be wrong.
    my questions:
    is there a workaround (if yes, please give a step by step instruction)
    or will I be better off reinstalling the 32bit version of DEBIAN ?
    (or what about the possibility of a 64bit java applet plugin being released in near future- will this be wishful thinking or a realistic hope?)
    thanks for any answer, as a matter of fact, I have used the java applet since REDHAT version 5 or 6, a lot of years ago, so this plugin-trouble really takes me by surprise - an unpleasant one, I admit
    regards Gerd

Linux Newbie
    Welcome.

To run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system, the 32-bit support libs need to be installed. The 'ia32-libs-gtk' pkg should get GTK and 32-bit apps working, including Firefox. For the java plugin, there's the 'ia32-sun-java6-bin' pkg for Sun's version or the 'openjdk-6-jre' for the 64-bit open source version.

FWIW, I use 64-bit Debian/Squeeze and can bank online with Iceweasel (unbranded Firefox) and just the ia32-libs-gtk pkg installed. Banks differ in their websites, just saying you may not need the java plugin for banking.

Just Joined!
    Hi fanderal
    thank you for your reply, that was all the info I could hope to get. In the country where I live we all need the java plugin to do banking, I am afraid. Now I have work to do, you outlined the process. Should I fail, I can choose to return to the forum with another dummy question, or, silently, reinstall 32-bit SQUEEZE. Time will tell.
    best wishes
    Gerd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    In the country where I live we all need the java plugin to do banking, I am afraid.
    Didn't know that circumstance existed; appreciate the info.

There's a thread in the Tutorials and HowTo's section that may be helpful, its called "Should you choose 32-bit or 64-bit Linux?" Good luck.

i'm confused, did the 64-bit plugin not work for you?

I'm using 64-bit sun jdk, I have it /opt/java/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so