Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm just wondering if it's possible to install "fedora"'s gnome-packagekit with it's GUI (gpk-application) in debian squeeze rather than installing "ubuntu" software center? Are there packages availabe in .deb file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question gpk-application under debian squeeze

I'm just wondering if it's possible to install "fedora"'s gnome-packagekit with it's GUI (gpk-application) in debian squeeze rather than installing "ubuntu" software center? Are there packages availabe in .deb file format in any repository?

Linux Newbie
    Its possible but I'd not recommend mixing pkgs from different distros. If the Squeeze repo doesn't have the GTK app you want, might be better to look for it in the testing or unstable repos. If its just not available, the 'alien' pkg converts/installs rpm pkgs.

Here's a place to search if you don't have Debian installed: Debian -- Packages

Linux Newbie
    Forgot to add... even though Ubuntu is based on Debian and both use '.deb' pkgs, they are not generally compatible. And it kinda sucks to find out the hard way. Its why they each maintain their own repos... Ubuntu's pkgs are tweaked for Ubuntu and Debian does the same for their pkgs.