Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How do i go about configuring the themes of IceWM or Blackbox when i have no access to the root?..i am using a computer in a computer lab..so basically i'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

window managers

How do i go about configuring the themes of IceWM or Blackbox when i have no access to the root?..i am using a computer in a computer lab..so basically i'm on a network...

also..i've installed IceWM in my own space..my own folder and all that..and i tried to "make install" it..and compile it from source but they gave me errors like something file and directory not found..how would i be able ot make it run?..

here's what i got...

gh-11:~/icewm-1.2.17% make install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/h/u3/c4/03/c4yapter/icewm-1.2.17/src'
    CXX ymsgbox.o
    In file included from ypaint.h:6,
    from ywindow.h:4,
    from wmclient.h:5,
    from ydialog.h:4,
    from ymsgbox.h:4,
    from ymsgbox.cc:13:
    ypixbuf.h:20:19: Imlib.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from ywindow.h:4,
    from wmclient.h:5,
    from ydialog.h:4,
    from ymsgbox.h:4,
    from ymsgbox.cc:13:
    ypaint.h:22:22: ft2build.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [ymsgbox.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/h/u3/c4/03/c4yapter/icewm-1.2.17/src'
    make: *** [base] Error 2

Linux User
    Hello, to install your own themes, just throw them into ~/.icewm/themes directory. When it comes to your second question it seems that there are no development libraries on the host you're compiling on. I'd suggest getting a binary version (for example by ripping some distribution package) and installing in your dir. However I've never tried it (the luxury of being root ) and there can be some 'gotchas'.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Just Joined!
    ahh..root is king!..

hmm..can't find the ~/.icewm/themes directory because such a directory doesn't exist in my user folder...it's probably on the hosts' folder..aka admin of this computer lab..just wanted to install some windows managers in my own folder and make it run everytime i login so that i'd be different from the rest of the people....any tips on how to do it?..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Just create the dir and put your themes into it. When it comes to Blaxbox there should be a similar directory. When it comes to installing program in your profile folder, it tends to be tricky, but not impossible... with your admin's help you could for example try to configure it to install to into a non-default directory by doing:
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/home/tereno/
    or something like this.

Just Joined!
    ok..i've installed the theme into my own folder..but how do i enable it?..don't think that the link to the themes in the manager will point to my folder..it'll point to the general folder..the one installed by the admin?..

Linux User
    To put it straight: suppose you downloaded a theme called XXX.tar.gz, after unapacking it you get a directory with a name XXX or something like this. You put this directory to ~/.icewm/themes/ so now you have ~/.icewm/themes/XXX. When you restart IceWM XXX should present in the start menu > themes.

Just Joined!
    i thought that only the admin can access a folder such as ~/.icewm/themes?

how do i move the directory over there using the shell?..there aren't any windows that i can just move here and there..

Just Joined!
    ahh..nevermind..i got it working for me..thanks for your help..i didn't know that i had to create the directory myself in order to make it run and stuff..

Just Joined!
    got another question..i've switched to the theme but only the taskbar reflects the theme..the background and the menu doesn't change..how do i change it?..

also are there ways where i can place icons on my desktop and perhaps put some widgets or something?

Just Joined!
    i think blackbox and icewm are just window managers, not desktop environments like kde or gnome. with those you can have icon on the desktop and shortcuts on the taskbar, stuff like that.

if your pc has the horsepower you should try kde or gnome
    but that is just my opinion, im sure you have reasons as to why you are using blackbox and icewm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast