Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all and thanks for this great place to discuss Linux. I have a little program on floppy, called Easy Copy Floppy . It allows one to copy a floppy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing so all users can access this program?

Hi all and thanks for this great place to discuss Linux. I have a little program on floppy, called Easy Copy Floppy . It allows one to copy a floppy using a GUI like the windows program, something we can't do in Linux. I copied it to my Home directory in Xandros. It is a .deb file. I clicked on it in my home folder and Xandros Networks opened and downloaded tk8.0 and then installed it.

I opened my home directory and went to /usr/bin/efc and it opened. When I clicked on the file, it opened the copy floppy interface. I clicked on copy disk and an error message open saying I didn't have enough permission to use the program.

I su to root and then I can use the program. So, I thought to myself I will change permission on the floppy by copying the file to my computer and change the permissions from root and then copy it back to a floppy and then I can install it as user. NOT! I still have to be root to use it. Sooooooooooooooooo I am thinking that it has to be something written in the script of the program itself that is causing the problem, butttttttttttttttttttt I have no idea what.

Can anyone assist

Thanks a heap in advance penguin7009

Linux Engineer
    Most likely the permissions on /dev/fd0 are too restrictive to allow direct writes by anyone but root. Try this:
    Code:
    su - //if you're not already root
    chmod 0666 /dev/fd0
    exit //if you used su - to change to root
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

try to su then
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 /usr/bin/efc
    to change the permissions of the actual program, after it is installed

edit** saw it was already answered

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    Most likely the permissions on /dev/fd0 are too restrictive to allow direct writes by anyone but root. Try this:
    Code:
    chmod 0666 /dev/fd0
    Thanks, Lordnothing :P , I'll give that a try after dinner and let you know how it goes .

penguin7009

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin7009
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    Code:
    chmod 0666 /dev/fd0
    Thanks, Lordnothing :P , I'll give that a try after dinner and let you know how it goes .

penguin7009
    OK, here is what happened. I put the floppy in the drive and opened my home directory. Clicked on floppy and when it opened I looked at the >properties>permissions. It read: rwxrwxrwx. Next I opened a console and su to root and typed: chmod 0666 /dev/fd0 and then enter.

I re-installed Easy Floppy Copy 0.9-2.deb. Unfortunately it did the same thing. Soooooooooooooo , I went to /usr/bin/efc and checked the permissions and after the install they read: -r-xr-xr-x.

So I log off and back on as root and found efc and changed the permissions to paul from root and gave me all permissions. Then I logged back on as user and fooey , I still get BSOD sorta

Can you think of anything I missed , I think this GPLed program is about 695kb. If you want to take a look at it I can upload it to you, if you will give me a link. I'm stumped.

Thanks, paul - penguin7009