Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wow well to start i have a copy of knpx 3.6 but i would much rather install debian , im installing on a second hard drive but not as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help me please.

Wow well to start i have a copy of knpx 3.6 but i would much rather install debian , im installing on a second hard drive but not as a duel as a bios option to boot so it wont really be running alongside my 2000 , i seen the small network install iso's but they all have like 5 files to download ? do i download them all ? how do i install do i burn all of them can i just get anyone of them are they the same ? blah will they burn all on one disk ? also i use aol broadband will i even be able to connect to finish the net install AHH please help im such a newbie maybe you guys should just give me the command to hd install knpx 3.6 help ~ PLS!! Thanks ; Thedorkofearl

Unworthy windows admin-

Re: Help me please.

Quote Originally Posted by thedorkofearl
    i would much rather install debian
    . . .
    i use aol broadband will i even be able to connect to finish the net install
    First off, if you have broadband I'd recommend you go ahead and take an hour or two to download a full ISO and not bother with the net install unless you just *really* want to. There's quite a few distros out there that will install a basic Debian system on your box fairly easily. My personal favorite is Mepis.

It boots like a LiveCD, which gives you a full graphical windowing environment without installing anything, and from there you can run the "Mepis System Installer" which is pretty much as simple as Next->Next->Finish. In the end you have a basic Debian system from which you can add/remove things using the jewel of Debian, apt-get.

On the subject of your internet, do you use a broadband modem to connect, and does it connect to your computer with a standard network cable? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble. If however you have some sort of DSL or something that requires you to connect or dial-in using a username and password, things might be a little more tricky.

**Note: Knoppix will do a harddrive install but I've never done one personally, so I can't really help you there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    yes i use aol broadband ~ which requires you to login to be connected even though tthe modem is always on .. any advice thanks for your help ..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by thedorkofearl
    yes i use aol broadband ~ which requires you to login to be connected even though tthe modem is always on .. any advice thanks for your help ..
    Well, you may be out of luck there. If you *must* connect using the AOL software, I don't think there's any way around that, and AOL does not make Linux versions. Are you absolutely sure that the AOL software is necessary? Some people have AOL for broadband, but their connection is actually through a different ISP, meaning they just have the AOL client that runs on top of their broadband connection. I'll look around a bit but I can't promise I'll find anything.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    yeah so i have to sign on to be able to not get error messages when i try to browse the internet