Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've done a Knoppix 3.6 HD install, and am attempting to ween myself from the M$ habit (DT's haven't started yet, but I expect them soon ). When I boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

runlevel and boot question

I've done a Knoppix 3.6 HD install, and am attempting to ween myself from the M$ habit (DT's haven't started yet, but I expect them soon ).

When I boot Knoppix, it immediatley starts a graphical user session and automatically logs in user Knoppix. As I understand it there's a config file somewhere that I can define the runlevel. Ibelive runlevel5 is GUI, and want to set the runlevel for a text login, and to allow me to initially log in as whichever user I choose.

I've searched the archives and the only thing I've found of any value regarding this problem is people looking to change the root password.

Any help?

Linux Engineer
    These run level are for redhat
    but im pretty sure you'll have what your looking for

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
    # 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    # 1 - Single user mode
    # 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
    # 3 - Full multiuser mode
    # 4 - unused
    # 5 - X11
    # 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

What your looking for is lvl3 if Im not mistaken
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Re: runlevel and boot question

Quote Originally Posted by aoriii
    When I boot Knoppix, it immediatley starts a graphical user session and automatically logs in user Knoppix. As I understand it there's a config file somewhere that I can define the runlevel. Ibelive runlevel5 is GUI, and want to set the runlevel for a text login, and to allow me to initially log in as whichever user I choose.

I've searched the archives and the only thing I've found of any value regarding this problem is people looking to change the root password.

Any help?
    Well, since Knoppix is a LiveCD distribution (and I assume you're running it from the CD) you won't be able to permanently change any of the configuration files, but just FYI, the file you can change to edit the default runlevel is /etc/inittab on most systems.

Someone else recently brought to my attention a neat little feature of the GRUB bootloader (and may also be present in LILO) that allows you to choose your runlevel at boot without changing any files. At the GRUB prompt where you have the option to add kernel parameters, type the runlevel you want (for instance 3 for full multiuser, no graphical) and hit ENTER.

I *was* going to describe the runlevels but Ugo beat me to it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Sorry TechieMoe I didn't meen to cut you off
    and you did say something I didn't even tough about... I'm still not use to those LiveCD thing...
    Do you know all version of Linux that can run "LiveCD"
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

wow quick bounce back

Guys, thanks for the warp speed responses.

btw, I'm not booting from LiveCD, I've done a HD install and new partition on my HD. I'll try poking around in the /etc/inittab file

Thanks again

:P

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    Do you know all version of Linux that can run "LiveCD"
    Is this final Jeopardy? haha. Well, I know of quite a few. Here's some I've tried:

Knoppix
    Mepis
    Damn Small
    SuSE LiveCD (special ISO, not the real distro CD)
    MandrakeMove
    Slax
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Unfortunatly you didnt earn any money at this Jeopardy game :P but you've earn someones respect ( for your knowledge )
    thanks again dude!

Just Joined!

LiveCD's

I've also tried PHLAK and several different flavors of Morphix, but all of these appear to build off of the Knoppix distro.