Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a virtual private server on which I host projects of my clients. We were using ISPconfig for administering clients, accounts, databases... but since the clients were not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best DIY alternative to ISPconfig

Hello,

I have a virtual private server on which I host projects of my clients. We were using ISPconfig for administering clients, accounts, databases... but since the clients were not satisfied with the interface that ISPconfig provided them, we switched to ticket support system and for now we're doing it all manually.

From that time the whole thing's in mess.

So, I would like to ask those with some expertise in configuring webhosting servers - what is the best architecture to keep things in order? From now, we have all directories for specific domains in /var/www , but now we have problems identifying them.

I would like it to work it like:

* each client has it's own directory
    * all the domains for specific client are in this directory
    * sub-domains are created by just creating the directory over an FTP

I've seen this method running on a webhosting provider and it was working good. Each client had it's own directory in /home (there was probably stored the database, too.) If you wanted a subdomain, you just created a directory e.g. sub and the subdomain was like sub.domain.tld . I can't get this to work, as apache2 will not allow me to do it outside /var/www directory.

Then, each client directory can contain a simple text file for info. Maybe then I can write some shell script to ease the work for us.

How can I do it like this?

Also, I would like to know if there are some good programs for administering the server remotely from Windows. (For now all is done through SSH). I like Apache but it knows only Apache, any multi-purpose tool to administer Apache, SQL, FTP and e-mail, even not-so-cheap, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for my really bad English...

Aj2
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sysctl View Post
    Hello,

I have a virtual private server on which I host projects of my clients. We were using ISPconfig for administering clients, accounts, databases... but since the clients were not satisfied with the interface that ISPconfig provided them, we switched to ticket support system and for now we're doing it all manually.

From that time the whole thing's in mess.

So, I would like to ask those with some expertise in configuring webhosting servers - what is the best architecture to keep things in order? From now, we have all directories for specific domains in /var/www , but now we have problems identifying them.

I would like it to work it like:

* each client has it's own directory
    * all the domains for specific client are in this directory
    * sub-domains are created by just creating the directory over an FTP

I've seen this method running on a webhosting provider and it was working good. Each client had it's own directory in /home (there was probably stored the database, too.) If you wanted a subdomain, you just created a directory e.g. sub and the subdomain was like sub.domain.tld . I can't get this to work, as apache2 will not allow me to do it outside /var/www directory.

Then, each client directory can contain a simple text file for info. Maybe then I can write some shell script to ease the work for us.

How can I do it like this?

Also, I would like to know if there are some good programs for administering the server remotely from Windows. (For now all is done through SSH). I like Apache but it knows only Apache, any multi-purpose tool to administer Apache, SQL, FTP and e-mail, even not-so-cheap, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for my really bad English...
    We do this now.

We use ISPConfig 3

We do not give them access to this interface.

This does all the work for us, we just run the web interface, and it takes care of everything for us.