Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Hello all... I just installed Debian 6 on a server and when the server powers up, it shows me all the accounts I created in order for me to choose ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Root Account Not Showing At Login...

Hello all... I just installed Debian 6 on a server and when the server powers up, it shows me all the accounts I created in order for me to choose and login under an account, except for the root account. At the colo where the server is going, they need the root account at the login screen. Thanks

Having a root account display at login is dangerous. That said. In "GDM setup" - under "other" ; under the security tab you will find a selection to "Allow Administrator Login" check the box.

Word of caution...
    Logging into the GUI as root is a very bad idea.
    It's generally considered better to login with a regular user account, then gain admin privileges with either sudo or su -
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Having a root account display at login is dangerous. That said. In "GDM setup" - under "other" ; under the security tab you will find a selection to "Allow Administrator Login" check the box.
    Thanks for the reply ... I must be blind but I can not find the GDM Setup! I even try using the command startx ... nothing. Please keep in mind this is release 6.0.2 and things may be different.

I could only locate GDM setup on my "other" menu which lists all aps and sub-aps in alphabetical order. I stuck with the old,did not go new. Software must be different. You can try "chvt 1", and then log in as root to test the account - or establish the password; Root-no passwd. Of you get in then do; "root passwd". If that does not work - I am too old to help you.

I also have LXDE desktop, you are probably KDE.

1)
    root login edit file /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf

[security]
    AllowRoot=true

2)
    edit file /etc/pam.d/gdm3 (or gdm if gdm is x login manager)

Remove or comment out line by prefixing #.

# auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

It's the same on other forums, it's like pulling teeth to get the answer to this one, all you get is "caution", "danger", and other non-answers.
    kareempharmacist likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quartermass View Post
    It's the same on other forums, it's like pulling teeth to get the answer to this one, all you get is "caution", "danger", and other non-answers.
    That's because logging in to an xsession as root is a bloody stupid thing to do and also completely unnecessary. If you're feeling the need to log in as root, it's because you're doing something wrong.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
    That's because logging in to an xsession as root is a bloody stupid thing to do and also completely unnecessary. If you're feeling the need to log in as root, it's because you're doing something wrong.

*Slow clapping*
    Shut this forum DOWN, Post of the year right there.
    jayd512 likes this.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Well it's my bloody computer not yours and iirc in previous Debian versions you could easily do this.
    I've done it and I was doing something right.
    Now you can shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by quartermass View Post
    Well it's my bloody computer not yours and iirc in previous Debian versions you could easily do this.
    I've done it and I was doing something right.
    Now you can shut it down.
    Yes indeed, it's your bloody computer and you're free to go ahead and break the OS - you're also free to keep all the pieces. But if you come to a discussion forum expecting other users to help you to break it - think again. If you want to do something stupid - you're more than capable of using google and going it alone - you don't need to ask questions on a GNU/Linux discussion forum for any such information.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast