Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just started playing around with Progeny Debian 2.0 this afternoon. When I tried to configure my dial-up I got a message telling me wvdial was not detected and must ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what is wvdial?

I just started playing around with Progeny Debian 2.0 this afternoon. When I tried to configure my dial-up I got a message telling me wvdial was not detected and must be installed to use ppp. What the heck is wvdial?

Just Joined!
    WvDial is a program that makes it easy to connect your Linux workstation to the Internet. It will automatically detect your modem, and it can log into almost any Internet provider's server without any special configuration.

It is the same thing as KPPP

Linux Engineer
    actually, it's just a console-based modem dialler... it can be used to start a ppp session or other dial-up session..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If you use the latest RedHat or SuSE Linux, WvDial is already included with your system, along with a custom graphical configuration program. RedHat's interface is called rp3, and SuSE's configuration program is called wvdial.tcl.

Just Joined!

Thanks

Thanks to you guys for your responses.

As it was I used a link to a tip I'd found on the unofficial Ubuntu site. It was how to run pppconfig in the terminal. Actually, it wasn't any kind of file editing as it brought up a text based sort of utility that created the file by itself with a few simple steps. After creating it and enabling the user account all I have to do it open a terminal and as user type "pon" and "poff" something I'm sure most of you already understand. It's not as convenient as a graphical device but who cares, it works fine.