Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hy, sorry if i am wrong but i could not find the right forum to post. I heared about ZFS from a friend and after much reading i think it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My first Linux Server

Hy,

sorry if i am wrong but i could not find the right forum to post.

I heared about ZFS from a friend and after much reading i think it is the right time to build my first Linux Home Server.

I planed 1 SSD for System and as cache for ZFS, 3x 2TB Sata HDD on standard Software Raid Controller. The controller is because my mainboard can not handle this Discs.

But i am a Linux newbie (just have a Centos Web Server ) i have some questions and hope you can help me.

- I want to use ZFS -> SSD as cache or is it the same effect if have have enough ram?
    - i read that if i use SSD as cache zfs can cache e.g. Videofiles and spindown the Harddrives if there are no using of this HDDs, is that right? So i can save energy.
    - I want to use it as testserver for Webdevelopment and i need php, mysql and other -> apache2 install
    - i need samba network share
    - i read about snapshot in ZFS, how muc space is used by a snaphot? Is it like a read only copy form the HDD?
    - at this time i run windows on this machine and spindown is no problem

Wich Linux can i use for this best? Is this from above possible?

If you need more info please ask.

Tanks for your help
    Last edited by skycryer; 11-29-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Forget something

Linux Guru
    Due to ZFS's license, it cannot be run directly as a filesystem supported by the Linux kernel. It is only run on Linux as a userspace filesystem. You can read more by reviewing the "ZFS on Linux" website. ZFS is a non-native Linux filesystem. You can find more documentation on the Oracle/Solaris website. Also keep in mind that functionality in Solaris ZFS may/may not be present in the ZFS on Linux port.