Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
LiveCDs run with full permissions so there is no root password and gparted runs without requiring anything further, but I'm not sure about how live thumb drives (I'm guessing it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

LiveCDs run with full permissions so there is no root password and gparted runs without requiring anything further, but I'm not sure about how live thumb drives (I'm guessing it's liveUSB?) do things, so maybe someone that uses them will offer up some help in getting gparted running on it. Back when I once ran Parted Magic from a liveUSB device, it worked the same as a liveCD does so far as I remember, but that's been a while.
    oz

Eze
    Just Joined!
    Currently i have win 7 pre install, do you think it would be a risk of crashing win 7 say if i install Debian after win 7 or it would be appropriate to install Debian prior to installing win 7?

Windows 7 first. Debian 2nd.

How to dual-boot Debian 6 and Windows 7
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eze View Post
    Currently i have win 7 pre install, do you think it would be a risk of crashing win 7 say if i install Debian after win 7 or it would be appropriate to install Debian prior to installing win 7?
    Any version of Windows will overwrite your bootloader every time if it is installed after Linux, so it's always easiest to install Windows first, then Linux, as pointed out above by rokytnji.
    oz

Linux Guru
    I'd concur with the above suggestions to install Debian after windows 7. Also reading the tutorial referred to above at least. You should also back up any important personal data before beginning. If it is a pre-installed system and you have a Recovery partition, you should make certain you have a recovery CD to access it. If you have a full installation CD/DVD I don't expect that would be necessary.

I just picked up a Acer Aspire 5534 from my wife ,(she got a new black friday compaq). First thing I did was alt+F2 and do a complete system restore to bring Windows 7 back to virgin status. Then I used the make recovery media tools to make a 3 DVD recovery set. This is a must when deciding to give Linux a go as yaneck pointed out in case you screw the pooch and break Windows 7 from lack of skills installing Linux. That way you can always start from scratch again.

So make your recovery media first before trying anything else first.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

EdB
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting Nix an Doze ...

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    in case you screw the pooch and break Windows 7 from lack of skills installing Linux.

I'd highly recommend dumping dual boot and going with dual drives and quick key bios select ...

Doze is alright and Nix is Awesome ... But there's too many dual booting nightmares that can happen all in the name of 'convenience ...'

IMHO ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2