Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
By default it should come with partition editor but i can't seem to find it. Is partition editor inclusive within synaptic package or where could i download it individually? Btw ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Eze
    Just Joined!

Post Partition Editor in Debian

By default it should come with partition editor but i can't seem to find it.

Is partition editor inclusive within synaptic package or where could i download it individually? Btw i'm running Debian live

Linux Guru
    Are you using an installed system or a Live CD? On the Live CD, you should find it under the System tab, Administration and Partition Editor. If you have the system installed, GParted is probably not installed by default. I don't use Debian myself but other systems do not include it. Probably because it is a bad idea to use a partition editor from a running system to modify it. If you want it on your installed system, you will probably need to download it.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Probably because it is a bad idea to use a partition editor from a running system to modify it. If you want it on your installed system, you will probably need to download it.
    Hello and welcome, Eze!

For the reason given by yancek above, I always run gparted from a liveCD such as the Parted Magic LiveCD, and never install it to the system that I'll be using it on. Either way, good luck with your partition editing.
    oz

Eze
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Are you using an installed system or a Live CD? On the Live CD, you should find it under the System tab, Administration and Partition Editor. If you have the system installed, GParted is probably not installed by default. I don't use Debian myself but other systems do not include it. Probably because it is a bad idea to use a partition editor from a running system to modify it. If you want it on your installed system, you will probably need to download it.
    I'm using live with a usb thumb drive, i did locate under system>adminstration>partition Editor but surprisingly it wasn't there.

The reason i'm using the partiton editor is b'cos i want to make the Debian Live install Persistent as well as having dualboot with win 7

So Gparted is infact parition editor?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eze View Post
    So Gparted is infact parition editor?
    It's a partitioning tool/utility, and a very good one for doing that.
    oz

Eze
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    It's a partitioning tool/utility, and a very good one for doing that.
    Ok i have check & downloaded Gparted using synaptic package but the problem is i dunno which folder it has went to??

oz
    forum.guy
    You can start gparted from the command line if it didn't appear in your applications menu anywhere. Just open a terminal and type in gparted then press ENTER.

More info about using gparted can be found here:

GParted -- Documentation
    oz

Eze
    Just Joined!
    I did but it says command not found

user@debian:~$ gparted
    bash: gparted: command not found
    user@debian:~$

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are not running gparted from a liveCD, I'm pretty sure you'll need root permissions to call it up and run it.

You can try using the su - command unless you are using sudo, where it would then be the sudo command that you'd need to get the proper permissions:

Code:
    su -  (then enter your root password when requested and press ENTER, then...)

gparted

(or if using sudo...)

sudo gparted
    oz

Eze
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    If you are not running gparted from a liveCD, I'm pretty sure you'll need root permissions to call it up and run it.

You can try using the su - command unless you are using sudo, where it would then be the sudo command that you'd need to get the proper permissions:

Code:
    su -  (then enter your root password when requested and press ENTER, then...)

gparted

(or if using sudo...)

sudo gparted
    Okie when i use su gparted

I got the following

Unknown id: gparted

Btw what root password are you referring as i did not input any password as far as i can recall, i'm now running Debian through live with a thumb drive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast