Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Sid, and I don't like Gnome3, so I installed xfce. I also installed SLIM. I later removed Gnome. I then decided that SLIM wasn't what I wanted, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

X won't run automatically

I'm running Sid, and I don't like Gnome3, so I installed xfce. I also installed SLIM. I later removed Gnome. I then decided that SLIM wasn't what I wanted, so I reinstalled gdm3. So far, so good. I eventually reinstalled all of Gnome, thinking I should really give it a fair trial. Somewhere along the line, I lost the ability to get a display manager to run. When I boot, I only get a text console, and running startxfce4 or startx doesn't work. I get the xfce login, but it hangs indefinitely and I have to restart by holding the power button. I can get a normal session, either Gnome3 or xfce, by running
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm3 start
    . That gives me the standard gdm3 login, where I can choose the session I want, and everything goes as expected. That's the only way I can get any X session. I've tried everything I can find through Teh Google and searches of several Linux forums, without success. Any ideas, anyone?

Linux Newbie
    Have you tried update-alternatives or dpkg-reconfigure?

Yes. Update-alternatives doesn't work with gdm3. Dpkg-reconfigure just lets you choose which display manager to use. Just for grins, I switched to lightdm, which I didn't even realize was installed, and that runs fine, the system boots right to lightdm and it runs the session you select. It's just gdm3 that won't start automatically.

Linux Newbie
    Suggested those two as I didn't know if you'd added, purged or deleted when changing WMs and DMs. Not familiar with Gnome or Xfce so can't offer config file suggestions. Good to know about Lightdm as I've been thinking of trying it, and good luck with gdm3.

I think I'll stay with lightdm for now. Gdm3 still won't run at boot, but lightdm works well enough for me, so I'll probably just stay with it. I've been a Gnome user for years, but the latest version just doesn't run fast enough to be usable, and I certainly don't like the interface. It seems that it's being abandoned by a lot of people, including me. Every time I boot it I remember how awful it is now.