Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bleedingsamurai
Hi guys, Ive upgraded my system from pentium 4 to Athlon 64 dual core, after booting the new system with the old HD (fairly straight forward), I wanted to upgrade ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux shutdown unexpectedly after apt-get

Hi guys,
    Ive upgraded my system from pentium 4 to Athlon 64 dual core, after booting the new system with the old HD (fairly straight forward), I wanted to upgrade some packages. After running apt-get the system suddenly shuts down. This repeated on every boot.

Thinking this had something to do with the new system migration, I've decided to reinstall Debian squeeze (was a good time to upgrade anyhow, as I wanted a 64 bit system), so I got the netinst cd and again, when apt-get is run (from the install system this time), the machine shuts itself down!

Any help is appreciated here
    -Ishay Peled

Just Joined!
    Sounds strange to be honest. What happens if you use aptitude instead of apt-get?

Just Joined!
    well, you need find out what is the exact problem. What you can do is, have a live CD (ubuntu) and boot up. try "apt-get update " and see. If it works, then you need to check out your distro. Debian has a lot of distros which are suitable for AMD systems. try one of them. cheers

Just Joined!
    So when you say shutdown, do you mean switching to init run level 0 (i.e. killing processes cleanly, and powering off the machine) or it just turns off as if the power cord was pulled?

If it is switching to run level 0 I would first run
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/bin | grep apt
    and see if apt-get has become a symlink to halt or shutdown. As dumb as that sounds I have encountered a similar issue after family members did full version updates on Ubuntu installs.

And either way, I would have a look at the logs. If memory serves your package manager should have its own log file.

nixblog makes a great suggestion also, try using aptitude to see what the results are.
    Try installing raw DEB packages with dpgk.
    If dpkg works you might get away with removing apt-get which is a front end to dpgk and then reinstalling it with dpgk to hopefully clean up whatever corruption or bad configuration is causing this odd issue.
    jayd512 and elija like this.

Just Joined!
    Well, I finally nailed it.
    It is a strange problem indeed and it's root cause is a faulty on-board LAN component.
    By shutdown I mean sudden death shutdown, power is simply dropped to the board.
    With small amount of bandwidth (e.g web pages) everything's peachy, but when I tried running heavier stuff (e.g wget), I noticed the shutdown again, having only used apt-get for heavy traffic, I assumed it was apt related.
    I ended up disabling the onboard LAN and using an external card, and my server is happily running for few month now!
    Thanks guys for your help