Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have mounted a windows shared folder on my linux box and this is fine however any file that appears in it, has the following permissions/user/group set, -rwxrwSrwx 1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Files in mount share folder have the -rwxrwSrwx 1 root root permission

Hi, I have mounted a windows shared folder on my linux box and this is fine however any file that appears in it, has the following permissions/user/group set,
    -rwxrwSrwx 1 root root
    Please can you advise if this is 'SET UID' and root permissions setting on any files is something on the windows shared folder itself or something on the linux end.
    The mount command uses mount -t cifs ,
    My intention is that anything file copied into the shared folder will keep the original permissions however this isn't happening.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You are out of luck there. It is Windows that controls the permissions, and it has a very different view of them from Linux/Unix. You might try updating your CIFS/SMB/SAMBA packages though. I have noticed that Win7 sets the permissions somewhat differently from XP.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!