Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have no idea what happened, but my middle mouse button stopped working since yesterday. I checked the settings for the mouse, everything seems fine. Reconnected mouse but no use. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Middle mouse button doesn't work anymore

I have no idea what happened, but my middle mouse button stopped working since yesterday. I checked the settings for the mouse, everything seems fine. Reconnected mouse but no use. When I try it out on another PC, It WORKS.

What kind of issue this could be, anyone experienced something like this before?

If you have any suggestions how to fix this I will be very grateful

Have a look at your /var/log/dpkg.log to see if anything relevant got upgraded recently. Also have you been messing about with xorg.conf ?

Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Also post your apt sources:

Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for trying to help,

I'm not sure what could be relevant in dpkg.log, I searched for 'mouse' or 'device' but no results.

xorg.conf doesn't exist

apt soruces list looks like this:

pastebin.com/6D2hjkku

Your apt sources look ok and the lack of an xorg.conf is usually not an issue.

I assume you're using gnome? If so then it could well be an issue with dotfiles (configuration data) getting messed up in your /home folder. To test for this, create another user and log in with that user and see if the middle mouse works.

I said to look through your dpkg log just in case an update might have broken this. Try running a grep on yesterdays date on the log file, copy and paste the output and post it here:
    Code:
    grep "2012-01-17" /var/log/dpkg.log

Just Joined!
    I know what the problem is

It's BROKEN

I tried on another PC and it worked, I guess because I pressed it harder haha
    I just tried know and it works if you press it really hard actually

I need another mouse

thanks for help anyway, very nice of you

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zdorian View Post
    I know what the problem is

It's BROKEN

I tried on another PC and it worked, I guess because I pressed it harder haha
    I just tried know and it works if you press it really hard actually

I need another mouse

thanks for help anyway, very nice of you
    Really great - just had the same sine yesterday. Solution: Press the button harder. Works! Thanks for the "Fix".
    Maybe I'll check if there is some dust hidden near the buttons inside of my mouse...