Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I just got my new laptop. It's an Asus with an i7, 12 Gb ram etc and I'm looking to install Debian on it. I checked out the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

64 Bit Debian

Hey everyone, I just got my new laptop. It's an Asus with an i7, 12 Gb ram etc and I'm looking to install Debian on it. I checked out the Debian site, and I can see the download for the 64bit Intel architecture, but am unsure which disk I want? I'm looking to use lxde as my window manager. From my understanding, I will only need to download the .iso for 'disk 1'. Is this correct?
    Also, how will I go about installing my usb headset, I haven't used Debian but I had a lot of trouble with the headset over Arch linux.

Cheers.

Hello and Welcome.
    I think you are correct, disk 1 is used for what's called a "Net install". Go getcha some. Debian is like many other distros, you install it first and then try to configure your extras.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-19-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Typo
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, if anyone has a solution to my usb headset issue, please get back to me on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Future28 View Post
    Hey everyone, I just got my new laptop. It's an Asus with an i7, 12 Gb ram etc and I'm looking to install Debian on it. I checked out the Debian site, and I can see the download for the 64bit Intel architecture, but am unsure which disk I want? I'm looking to use lxde as my window manager. From my understanding, I will only need to download the .iso for 'disk 1'. Is this correct?
    You need the amd64 CD1 and once you're installed you may need to get a newer kernel from backports. In fact with your laptop, if you're prepared to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty, I would suggest running testing or even unstable rather than stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Future28 View Post
    Also, how will I go about installing my usb headset, I haven't used Debian but I had a lot of trouble with the headset over Arch linux.
    No idea... identify it and google it:

Code:
    lsusb

Just Joined!
    Downloading that .iso now, thanks. I'll look into the rest once it's up and running, thanks for the help.

Just Joined!
    Alright, I set everything up but am having trouble with making my conky run at startup.

Here is my conky script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sleep 20
    conky
    Here is my xinitrc:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    #
    # global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
    . /etc/X11/Xsession
    . /home/pork/.conky_start
    Can anyone see my problem?