Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I am looking for a way to check if Debian 6.0 (server) has detected my Epson CX-3900 (inkjet) printer. I installed cups and the printer's drivers, enabled the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Check if printer is detected by Debian Squeeze

Hi there,
    I am looking for a way to check if Debian 6.0 (server) has detected my Epson CX-3900 (inkjet) printer.
    I installed cups and the printer's drivers, enabled the printer with lpadmin, then logged in as root to the web Control panel (localhost:631) and tried to send a test page to the printer but it doesn't do anything. The print job remains forever in queue.
    So, I think that maybe Squeeze hasn't detected/mounted (is that technically correct?) the printer. How can I make sure? and, what do you suggest in case Debian hasn't detected/installed the printer queue?
    Also, how can I know for sure that the USB printer has been detected? (I'll tackle the print issue later; first I want to make sure the USB port and the printer connected to it are working).
    Thanks in advance.

You could try here or here
    and dmesg output will give you an indication if the hardware is working

Just Joined!
    Open a terminal at the server, use lpq to determine the active printer driver. It will report if the printer is ready or not, and also any pending print jobs.

Even with CUPS the lp commands should work.