Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey ppl im just new to debian but have used other distros of linux after i have installed evrything etc i get the log in screen and then i log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

no display??????????

hey ppl im just new to debian but have used other distros of linux
    after i have installed evrything etc i get the log in screen and then i log in then try to sartx and thescreen flashes then returns to the command line with (EE) No display
    whats this mean i think my video card drivers are ok but maybe not the moniter b'coz i had probs with that on suse 9.1
    any help would do
    i tryed access the .log and said i didnt have the correct permissions
    i looked in as root and still didnt have them :s
    thanks i know its very breif but its coz im at school and not with the shell

Could you post the exact error? Was it "no displays found" or "Displays found but none have usable configuration"? Details, details...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    no display found yet again ill try and get details when i am home is there any way to page up when you are only in command line?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I dont know if you can redirect a command line to an input like ">>" to write the log to a file... anyway, It could be an easy XF86Config edit t ofix your problem. get back to us asap with more info
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_dressed_in_black
    no display found yet again ill try and get details when i am home is there any way to page up when you are only in command line?
    "No displays found" usually means your "Display" section of your XF86Config isn't properly configured. I still need more information, though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Can you post the display section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config (or xorg.conf) in code brackets please?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    hey thanks for the turn out i have now changed to ubuntu linux just to try it as i got the disks on monday. i will switch back to debian in about a month and have another try i have now downloaded the newer version of it 3.0r3 so im guessing it is built on a newer kernel and will support evrything a wee bit better