Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just scanned in the 10 DVD's for Debian Linux now it it asking me for: Debian GNU/Linus 6.04_squeeze_official i386 DVD Binary_1 20120128-12:53 Whatever that is. I assume that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Loading Debian Linux

I have just scanned in the 10 DVD's for Debian Linux now it it asking me for: Debian GNU/Linus 6.04_squeeze_official i386 DVD Binary_1 20120128-12:53

Whatever that is. I assume that is yet another disc that I have to get from somewhere. I tried the site where I got the first 10 discs but could find no reference to the above.

Is there anyone that can help me with this?

Thanks

Do you have an Internet connection already? If so, edit /etc/apt/sources.list and comment or delete the line for the CD-ROM or DVD. Save file and exit. Then, as su:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    When it's done updating:
    Code:
    apt-get install *package_you want_to_install*
    You should now be able to install packages via the Internet rather than feeding your computer the DVDs it begs for. Hope this helps.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Do you have an Internet connection already? If so, edit /etc/apt/sources.list and comment or delete the line for the CD-ROM or DVD. Save file and exit. Then, as su:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    When it's done updating:
    Code:
    apt-get install *package_you want_to_install*
    You should now be able to install packages via the Internet rather than feeding your computer the DVDs it begs for. Hope this helps.
    I can't even get Linux up to edit anything. When I try to boot it I get a kernel panic and I bet it is because of that last disc that I do not have. I will try to reload it but I doubt that will help maybe I should choose another form of Linux this one is not impressing me much right now. I have used Linux lots of times in the past and never had problems like this.

Thanks for the input.

Debian isn't too difficult to install if you do it with the net install. You'll start with a minimal system and build it from there. Having said that, is this your first foray into Linux? If so, consider going with a distro that is more new user friendly. I'd recommend Linux Mint. The install is pretty easy and you'd have most everything you need after installation.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Firstly you didn't need 10 DVDs to install Debian... I'm sorry that you've wasted your time, money and bandwidth downloading needlessly, but if you'd read the documentation (release notes) before hand you would quite simply not be in this situation.

The DVDs are in fact the entire repository mirror - no one would need to install everything from the Debian repositories (in fact it's impossible to install everything from the repositories).

In most cases, you only need CD1 or the netinstall image in fact... install with an active network connection and you're done.

As caravel mentioned, only one disc is needed to install. If you are not doing a network installation, DVD1 has everything that is needed, including the choice of four desktop environments.
    Alternatively, down-load CD1. There are three: one with Gnome, one with KDE, and one with XFCE and LXDE.
    Or, if you have a fast internet connection, use Net install.

Installing Debian is actually very easy. It is basically the same as Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSuse, et cetera.