Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Installed Debian 6 LXDE as VM under VMware. Drag and drop of files either within the VM or between shared folders and the VM does not work. It does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian 6 LXDE won't allow drag n drop

Hi,

Installed Debian 6 LXDE as VM under VMware. Drag and drop of files either within the VM or between shared folders and the VM does not work. It does work on a similar VM using XFCE.

Is this a restriction in LXDE? Is there a way to enable drag n drop in LXDE?

Also, the VM keeps freezing or locking up. I've tried allowing it both 1 and 2 gigs of ram and 1 and 2 cpus but it has not stopped the lock ups / freezes.

Ozzlawrence.
    AMD FX8120, 16 GB ram, VMware running on Windows 7 home premium 64 bit host.

The crashes are likely to be the fault of the vm or configuration you're using rather than debian. Do the lock ups occur only when x is running? If so make sure there is enough video ram allocated.

As to the drag and drop - I have no experience of that, but it's likely to be a limitation of pcmanfm if it works in Xfce. Install thunar and see if that drags and drops...

Just Joined!
    Hi caravel,

Thanks for the advice. I installed Thunar and can drag and drop using Thunar but not using the originally installed file manager, which I think is pcmanfm. Could it be pcmanfm which is also causing the other peculiar events with resizing windows etc?

I'll try uninstalling pcmanfm and advise on any improvements.

pcmanfm is an integral part of lxde as far as I know. If you remove it, you won't have desktop icons, etc (it will also remove most of lxde with it...)

Just Joined!

pcmanfm & lxde

Yep, you are correct. I did uninstall pcmanfm and lost the lovely blue lxde screen - but the vm did run and drag n drop did work. I also tried just substituting the shortcuts for pcmanfm file manager to thunar which worked fine.

Thanks heaps for your advice and help. I am learning a lot as I go and the advice from the forum here is tremendous.

A simpler drag and drop file manager I use is the mighty Rox file manager.

Sunflower is another that we are testing out also in the new Beta AntiX 12 (which only comes with Windows Managers, not Desktop enviorments like Gnome). We are looking for alternative file managers to PCmanFm and Thunar for this next release of AntiX. Rox is staying as a permanent fixture though as well as Midnight Commander.

Both rox and sunflower are very light file mangers to install and use little computer resources also.

My AntiX core install LXDE install
    LXDE.org Forum • View topic - My AntiX LXDE Desktop
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home