Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by ihoveijn To install a new kernel I need an internet connection... Is the 3.2 kernel a replacement of the existing kernel or will it appear as an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ihoveijn View Post
    To install a new kernel I need an internet connection... Is the 3.2 kernel a replacement of the existing kernel or will it appear as an alternative in the grub menu? I'll give it a try.
    You can download the kernel package from elsewhere and install it using dpkg. It will appear in the grub boot menu.

Just Joined!
    I already thought so. Thanks anyway. IH

Just Joined!
    Well, I successfully installed kernel 3.2. It runs ok (checked that it is running with 'uname -a'). But... the internet connection is still coming up and going down as before. I also checked '/etc/networks/interfaces' and '/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf' for alterations, they were unchanged. It seems that a software problem is getting unlikely, unless there is a configuration setting somewhere... Going back to Lenny and see what happens? Hmm. But right now I realize that I do have an Ubuntu start up disk. Let me try, before giving up. I'll report on that.

IH

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So I booted my laptop from an Ubuntu 11.10 DVD. At first I had an internet connection but after a while it started to go down and up in an all to familiar fashion. 'dmesg | grep -e eth' produced the same kind of output as in one of my earlier posts. Any other options? Time to look for another NIC, external USB?

IH

Linux Guru
    Reading through this thread. It reminded me of my Acer Aspire One ZG5 which would drop wireless intermittently.

I struggled with it. So I turned off the internal wireless card in bios and ran a external wireless g usb.

Took me awhile but I finally figured the internal card for wireless was getting hot because the card needed to be reseated in it's socket. I cleaned the contacts on card with a pencil eraser and 90% rubbing alchohol and reseated that sucka. I removed my external wireless USB and turned the internal card back on in bios. I have not had a problem with it since. I aint saying this will fix your problem. Just letting you know what I went through.

Just Joined!
    Hi rokytnji,

Thanks for your suggestion. Opened the laptop but found nothing that looked like a NIC to me. A closer look at the specifications though reveals that my laptop has an integrated NIC... Should have done that first.

IH

I would guess the NIC is faulty. Your best bet is to turn it off in the BIOS setup and buy a cheap USB NIC. (cardbus is another option, but usually more expensive and harder to get hold of these days).

Be aware that with USB NICs the chipset you get can be a bit of a lottery, unless you're prepared to buy something branded - and thus more expensive - and do a bit of research.

Just Joined!
    Hi caravel, rokytnji and randicus,

Yes, I decided to go for a USB NIC. I obtained a sitecom ln-030 from the local computer shop. To my great surprise it worked right out of the box. Just plug it in. It's been working flawlessly for several hours now.

Just for your interest, excerpt from dmesg | grep -e eth

[ 9.842134] asix 1-1:1.0: eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:02:07.2-1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet, ******

Let me thank you for your time, help, thoughts, and suggestions, I greatly appreciate that.

Best regards, IH

lsusb will give usually more specific info on the device. Good to hear you got it working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2