Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I installed Debian Squeeze on a multi-boot PC where Ubuntu is the first and bootable distro. Using GRUB2, the options 'nosplash debug --verbose' are used, but Debian freezes silently. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Boot problem

Hello,

I installed Debian Squeeze on a multi-boot PC where Ubuntu is the first and bootable distro.
    Using GRUB2, the options 'nosplash debug --verbose' are used, but Debian freezes silently.
    How to make boot verbose to see what happen ?

The /boot/grub/grub.cfg is :
    (as created via file /etc/grub.d/40_custom and call to 'update-grub')

menuentry "test Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (on /dev/sda4)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,gpt4)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root b6ebc0b2-59cc-4ceb-81ba-c60d90be2fdc
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=UUID=b6ebc0b2-59cc-4ceb-81ba-c60d90be2fdc ro nosplash debug --verbose
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
    }

Thanks for any clue.
    Bruno

Not a clue, but at least this will bump your thread if nothing else...

I'm not clear as to where grub is installed. Are you saying that debian has no bootloader? Did you manually configure grub-pc? If so did you not try:

Code:
    # os-prober
    # update-grub
    To see if everything could be picked up automatically...?

Linux Newbie
    Yes, update-grub was executed from the Xubuntu session : Debian installation was found and added in the GRUB boot menu.

The grub.cgf indicated in my first email is a copy of the original made by update-grub : 'quiet' was replaced by 'nosplash debug --verbose' to obtain informations.
    Infortunately Debian freezes without any display.

This entry was put in the file /etc/grub/d/40_custom in respect of GRUB2 specifications. After update-grub this entry is correctly added in the GRUB boot menu.

Other distros works on same configuration, eg. Sabayon, with respective partition of course.

Bye,
    Bruno

Just Joined!
    I am rebooting the Linux Debian and i tried the fsck and the following messages came up checking inodes how long does it take.

Linux Newbie
    The boot Debian is simply freezed ... and completely silent unfortunately.
    Waiting around 30-mins without any sign of life, like no disk led blinking.

Bye,
    Bruno