Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ahah memtest has brought up as having 24 errors at tests 2 and 3 (in the first pass, i couldn't be bothered to wait longer ) In case i hadn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ahah

memtest has brought up as having 24 errors at tests 2 and 3 (in the first pass, i couldn't be bothered to wait longer )
    In case i hadn't already mentioned, the memory was bought as part of my computer build a few weeks ago, so i shall be returning it asap

hopefully this was my problem

thanks for your help!

PS: funnily enough, none of my 3 ubuntu live CDs worked, complaining of Input/output errors - another indication of memory failure, yes?

Yes it's entirely possible with bad memory a livecd wouldn't even boot. Glad you got it sorted - as the machine is presumably under warranty you're better off taking it up with the vendor rather than messing around pulling out and re-seating sticks of RAM (which is what I was coming to next).

Just Joined!
    already done so, return collection is booked
    however, since i built the machine myself, i think it's better that i do 'mess around' pulling out sticks of RAM, don't you?

thanks again for your help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was going to say that if it's a self build, then you might want to try reseating the RAM module(s) and checking BIOS settings, etc... sometimes cheaper RAM needs more conservative settings.

Just Joined!
    I would like to confirm that, after receiving the new RAM, the system is (actually, was, but that's my problem [in my other thread]) now working fine

thanks again for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2