Find the answer to your Linux question:
ddrescue under debian, can't rescue data from a ntfs drive with bb Hi Guys sorry for taking some of your time but i have a serious problem. My parents external ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ddrescue under debian, can rescue data from a ntfs drive with bb

ddrescue under debian, can't rescue data from a ntfs drive with bb

Hi Guys

sorry for taking some of your time but i have a serious problem.

My parents external drives with all the data/photos ect ect has got bb after three months of running on a shelfs.

So what have i done;
    well i took of an old PC of the shelf, C2D with an 80 gb pata drive for a fresh install of debian, installed a basic system with ddrescue.

I went out a bought a new similiar hdd like the one my parents had that broke down, same model, size.

I pulled out the defective hdd from its external cage and connected it to the internal sata controller with the new harddisk, and took a look in /dev
    I could see that there were two partitions
    /dev/sdc
    /dev/sdc1
    /dev/sdc2

the new drive i mounted it sdb1 to /mnt/sdb1

I have attachet an usb stick for the log file sdd1 (/mnt/sdd1)

then i started the
    ddrescue -R 3 /dev/sdc /mnt/sdb1/backup.img /mnt/sdd1/backup.txt it found 3240 mb data out of 1 tb, where i will guess 60% is used, but stopped because the syslog kernel.log and messages has filled up the diskspace on the 80 gb hdd..

so i disabled them and restarted againg and now it rescues 0, what have i done wrong ?

shall i cool down the drive or ? any suggestion will be help full

with kind regards
    Brian
    Last edited by brislingf; 04-05-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: misspelled

Try using this software instead and I would recommend doing one type of file at a time.

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

I used that recently when I accidentally formatted my 500 gig drive instead of my 2 gig thumb drive...worked relatively well.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"