Find the answer to your Linux question:
how can I turn on the logging with pure-ftpd to log when a file is deleted? it currently only logs put and get. i had someone delete a bunch of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question pure-ftp doesn't log when files deleted

how can I turn on the logging with pure-ftpd to log when a file is deleted? it currently only logs put and get. i had someone delete a bunch of files and i now can't figure out who because pure-ftpd is not logging this.

i am a beginner with linux and i can't find anywhere any information on how do this.

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately this is a common problem with pure-ftp. While many ftp clients such as filezilla have this feature activated by default, you must enable it manually in pure. I personally do not know the process,but have you checked the documentation pages on the pure-ftpd website? They may have instructions. However, my personal reccomendation is switch to filezilla which enables these loggin features by default.
    The other option if the files were deleted from a web server (if you have access) is to check there. Most web servers log this information automatically.

Just Joined!
    I'm not familiar with any ftp client software called pure-ftpd, but i am referring to the linux ftp server product. Also, filezilla is a windows only ftp software and this is a linux debian forum.

I am trying to find information on how to get the linux ftp server product pure-ftpd to log when files get deleted and it is running on a linux debian server.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by korazy View Post
    I'm not familiar with any ftp client software called pure-ftpd, but i am referring to the linux ftp server product. Also, filezilla is a windows only ftp software and this is a linux debian forum.

I am trying to find information on how to get the linux ftp server product pure-ftpd to log when files get deleted and it is running on a linux debian server.

Thanks.
    Actually korazy, Filezilla is available for Linux, Windows & Mac. Check out the Filezilla website for the Linux versions. You can also install Filezilla on your Linux box through most package managers like Synaptic package manager, Ubuntu Software Center, Deepin software center, etc.
    As for the pure-ftpd issue, I apoligize if I mis-informed you on that. The information I gave was found on the pure-ftpd website as I have no real experience with it. I would give you a link, but I have not posted enough yet to be allowed to post links. You can do a google search for pure-ftpd, that is how I found it.