Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I find it odd that your wireless card has no MAC address. Originally Posted by rokytnji This site Debian HCL; Debian GNU/Linux device driver check & report is a device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I find it odd that your wireless card has no MAC address.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    This site Debian HCL; Debian GNU/Linux device driver check & report
    is a device driver check site.
    I always seem to forget about that site.
    @JLloyd137, get your information put into the site that roky provided. Double check to make sure that it's the correct driver.
    Currently you have rt2860sta.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Yes, the Debian Wiki a good place to start. Also, if both Network Manager and WICD are installed, make sure both have the same settings or remove one. Myself, I prefer WICD.

Just Joined!
    Ok, tryed and failed to work it out. All my settings have been double checked and everything, but it is still not working. Status says 'device not mananged'

Does your wireless device still show up with no MAC address?
    What is the output of:
    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scan
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    No MAC address could be a symptom of the wireless being turned off.

Assuming network manager, Right click it's icon in the notification area and make sure that both enable networking and enable wireless are checked. Additionally, you can click on edit connections and make sure that the settings under the wireless tab are sensible for your network.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Engineer
    On my laptop, my wireless card is controlled by a soft-key. Make sure your wireless is physically turned on be either the a toggle switch, or the appropriate button/soft key.

Short of that, Debian tries to be a completely 'free' distro. The drivers your specific card might not be included in the default repositories. You may have to enable non-free repos to get the correct drivers. I wouldn't be able to help you with this though, as I don't know too much about installing drivers from non-free.

An alternative is to try a more beginner friendly distro, such as Mint. Mint will included a lot of non-free drivers that Debian won't.

Non-free refers to some form of copy right or usage, that limits the terms on how the software may be used, modified, and/or distrubuted. Non-free doesn't mean it costs money; the non-free repos are free to use.

Just Joined!
    Sorry for taking so long, im back. Its not a laptop, all is enabled, all settings are correct.

wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

This dosnt make sense since it works fine in mint so its not hard ware. My machien is dualbooted: mint 12 and debian. Bin running mint for awhile but like this more. Just xant get internet working.

Linux Engineer
    Mint doesn't follow the 'only free software' philosophy as Debian does. Mint includes non-free software in their default repos, including some drivers. I too enjoy Debian, but I've yet to attempt to install it on my laptop due to this reason.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    Yes, the Debian Wiki a good place to start. Also, if both Network Manager and WICD are installed, make sure both have the same settings or remove one. Myself, I prefer WICD.
    I like running WICD too but just with the ncurses interface.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Non-free refers to some form of copy right or usage, that limits the terms on how the software may be used, modified, and/or distrubuted. Non-free doesn't mean it costs money; the non-free repos are free to use.
    See here for the Debian Manuals definitions of their repos - Section 2.2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast